power steering

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Has anyone put a delphi 600 power steering gear box on their car ,and if so did you add the more positive caster then. What i am asking is if you did are you satisfied the way it drive's. I have set caster as much as possible with existing upper a arm's and honestly if the a arm swap to increase more caster does not improve road feel , i think i might go back to a manual gear box. I once installed a stock power steering on a 65 chevelle school car, for easier parking. I know how it drove on the high way before , and after did not have the road feel. I remember my first new 63 did not turn that hard anyway with manual steering, and drove fine, even though it had bias ply tire's It just is very sensitive, seem's like you go over a bump and you tend to over steer.??????? Yes , toe is set and camber.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I guess i'm the only one that bought that box!!!!!:scratch I think i have it resolved any way, found two other issue's beside's putting the different upper adjustable control arm's,for more positive caster.Thank's for all the help guy's.:D:D

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have that box, I have not used it yet. Its currently mounted on my 62 SS 409 convertible - that will not be on the road until 2015.
I removed it from my 62 SS 409 HT because the steering shaft hit the frame and the PS 409 pulley did not have enough clearance to the 600 box.
I had a new mounting bracket made for the convertible to solve these problems.

I suggest you look at this post on 61-64 Chevy Talk forum.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/312748/
I am strongly looking at the Global West set (mentioned in the post -toward the end), using my new 600 series box on my 62 SS 409 converible.
There are 3 videos about caster on the Global West site, here is the main site -the 58-64 set is in the middle of the page:

http://www.globalwest.net/1958-1959...iscayne-el-camino-front-suspension-parts.html
direct link to the item description:
http://www.globalwest.net/1959-1960...pala-el-camino-power-steering-conversion.html

On the main site there are 3 videos using a 63 Impala with original suspsension, another set using the 600 series box and
video with their new system in place. They show all the caster issues on the Chevy talk link and what you are asking.

Paul Stensland

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Thank's Paul. I rebuilt my suspension frame out, and did not tighten the control arm bushing bolt's so as to tighten later after full weight of the car on them . I just remembered that so i did tighten them and that seemed to help.Another thing is i have 409 spring's in the rear with one coil cut off because when i assembled the rear the spring end's did not mate up with the pocket's . These spring's ride like a lumber wagon,you hit a bump and it just jump's around in the rear. I had put these spring's in my son's 64 impala and he hated them . I do not remember where i got those but they are stiff.He gave them to me and i thought they would be ok with a coil cut off. It does still set higher in rear than normal. My front's spring's are new stock application. So i will replace correct spring's and upper control adjustable arm's and get the preferred caster setting,and see how that goes. I kind of blamed power gear box ,so i removed ps belt and it still drove like crap so i knew it had other issue's.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Thank's Model's, i will keep that in mind . I think with all the other bug's it has i think i can resolve the way it drive's. My 66 chevy pickup i added a factory gm power used gear box and it is effort less and quiet and it drives great city or highway.