Power Unit 4 Cyl

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Tom was correct, Model 60 S/N PA3305 Made prior to 1931.

Caterpillar Model PA1-PA13516
Mfg. Dates 7/1/25-12/30/31
Weight 20500lbs.
Gauge 72"
Drawbar HP 65
Belt/PTO HP 77
Cylinders bore and stroke 4@ 6-1/2"x8-1/2"
RPM 650
Fuel Cap. 70 gals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterpillar_Sixty

The Model 50(drawbar HP 52) , 40(drawbar HP 44), 35(drawbar HP 38), and 30(drawbar HP 35) all ran 850 rpm and had 6.5"stroke with different bores from 4.75 to 5.5 The model 28 had a 5.5" stroke and a 4 3/16" stroke and drawbar HP of 30.

Last edited:

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
watch this, I hope this is the right one

Neat video. Lovin the starter....also the flywheel and clutch out there in the open.

Dad bought a quarry a mile from the sand pit in 1962. There was a D4 Cat(see video NCPOP posted above about the 60..the D4 is on the same trailer) with a D2 cable front 1/3 yard bucket on it for loading trucks. Smooth tracks, no grousers because of all the tight turns you make. There was also a TL20 Lorain shovel included with a 1/2 yard bucket. They were both purchased new by the previous owner in 1953. The Lorain was the same as the one parked in the trees in attached video.. The other video looks to be a little smaller machine. The shovel is the easiest of cable operated cranes to operate. I had already been operating clamshells(the hardest to operate) and draglines(easier to operate) so the shovel was a piece of cake. I was15 when I started operating the shovel. All these were mechanical, no air assist. I wonder why my back and shoulders hurt...........

Then in 1965 Dad bought a Hough, model HU rubber tired loader, no cab(see last video) with a 1 1/3 yard bucket. What a machine compared to loading trucks with the D4. When I sold out the biggest loaders I had were 8 yard machines.

Last edited:

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Sometime around 1958 I helped my Dad pull an old Lorain out of a creekbed. We got it home, rebuilt it and it became the beginning of his excavating business. I started operating that old thing when I was about 14 or 15 and graduated to a Northwest model 20 and 45 by the time I was 16.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Sounds like a lot of work rebuilding that. Man those machines greasy down below the cable drums. Seems like you had to put some heavy black grease on the swing gears down there. Did you ever have to change a broken vertical swing shaft Cecil...friggin grease all over.

We had a Northwest 25-3/4 yard and NW 25D -1 yard. One had a Buda and other was Wakesha. Both 6 cyl gas. Most cranes had operators levers that you pushed. Northwest you pulled...easier on operator I thought.

Last edited:

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Had to melt a lot of tar to slop on the cables and drums and we bought grease by the 55 gal drum....takes a lot of that stuff all over. My Dad lost his fiddlin' fingers when his glove got caught in a cable that was moving.