Powerglide dust cover

chevyjason

Well Known Member
Hi guys,
I am having trouble finding a dust cover. It's the funny shaped cover that covers the flexplate and convertor. I have a 348 with an alloy powerglide. It has an 11 inch flexplate. I have several covers here that are the correct shape but only work on the 10.5 inch flexplate. The extra half inch won't let it seat all the way home. Is there such a thing made? Maybe a 65-66 big block with a glide.
Thank you,
Jason

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Also, do you know what the powerglide came out of? My 59 El Camino 283 had a powerglide, I switched to a 4 speed with a 58 flywheel and bell housing, it bolted right up so the flywheel's are the same size, both the 168 tooth I assume. Do you have something bigger than 168 tooth? They never had the smaller 153 tooth until 63 or so. Maybe you can get a smaller flexplate and a starter that fits.

My recommendation is a clutch and a 4 speed, ditch the automatic.:cool::cool:

Don

chevyjason

Well Known Member
Hey Don,
The Powerglide is from a 64. I just can't recall exactly why but i feel as i had to use the larger flexplate (168 tooth). I think i may have only had the one set of bolt holes in the block. My 348 is a truck block and origionally had a HUGE flywheel.
I hear you, the four speed thing would be good to, but i really like the PG. Makes the car real easy to drive.
I will check those other leads and see what turns up. Thank you very much for your help mate.
Jason

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Show cars list this one for 63-65 powerglides.

1059.jpg

Is there an 11 inch 168 tooth, my 283 had 168 tooth cast iron powerglide, but I bet the covers you have are for pre 1963 powerglides? May be for cast iron? 62 was the first year for aluminum cases, but then only in 327's not 283's. 63 up were all aluminum, so maybe that is what Show Cars are selling. Call and ask them what flexplate it fits?
Pre 1963 flywheels and flexplates were all 168 tooth on small blocks and W's, then they brought in the 153 tooth in 1963. Maybe the vette 396/427's used the smaller flexplate too on thier powerglides?

Don

chevyjason

Well Known Member
Hey Don,
You've got a great eye there. I'm glad to see i'm not going nuts and there is other guys looking too. :doh I'll start hitting ebay and see what happens. Thank you very much for your help too. ...............of course if you happen to trip over one at the next swap, i'll be happy to buy it from you!!!
Jason