powerglide swap

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
my '62 impala runs and drives excellent but the powerglide in it shifts at 25 mph and just slowly pulls from there...it's just pig on the highway...I'm thinking of a swap and was told a th-350 is about the same size...anyone have any thoughts regarding a new tranny...I'm wondering about the cross mount, drive shaft length, linkage, etc...I'm sure some of you guys have done this before...

4spd409

Well Known Member
The short shaft 350 is the best bet mounts using the original crossmember. Linkage is available from Ecklers. You need a driveshaft the same length as a 4 speed or overdrive. Hard to find an original so probably will need to shorten your shaft the original transmission lines and vacuum lines should work. You will find a great improvement in the cars lowend performance.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
thank you fellas for the input, after I return from the holidays I intend on looking into the conversion and I'm sure I'll have more questions...I will keep my eyes open for a short shaft 350...I'm assuming the 350 has a manual speedo cable that will work with the oem speedo...

Reactions: 327

425/409ER

Well Known Member
my '62 impala runs and drives excellent but the powerglide in it shifts at 25 mph and just slowly pulls from there...it's just pig on the highway...I'm thinking of a swap and was told a th-350 is about the same size...anyone have any thoughts regarding a new tranny...I'm wondering about the cross mount, drive shaft length, linkage, etc...I'm sure some of you guys have done this before...
Adjust the linkage and add a little stall to that P/G your car will be like a new animal. When I had the stock 409 glide in my car years ago I should have left it in the car. The turbo 350 was nothing but problems for years with vibrations, leaks and I just hated that transmission. Now we have the 200-4R and the car is smooth once again going down the road.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
a year ago I had winters transmission increase the stall on the converter and it did little to help me...I'll get it up on the lift this weekend and check out the linkage...the tip is greatly appreciated...;)