Prepping for Norwalk

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Plans are to drive my now-seasoned 1962 Chevy to Norwalk in a few weeks. I don’t have a trailer or a capable truck, but I do drive the car itself a bit. It’s been on one long trip (2000 miles) and several shorter trips totaling another thousand or so miles this past year. She’s been pretty reliable so far (fingers crossed) but I think I need to be better prepared. Will do all the basic fluids and adjustments before departing.

Lot’s of guys will be at Norwalk with their cars, and last time I was without (2005). Thinking ahead about preparations, I was wondering what sorts of car-related things you guys take a long when you make such a trek, and you are using your classic car as the source of transportation. Mind you, all I have is a full size Chevy trunk and some rear seat and floor area. I’m thinking tools, spare parts, jacks, etc. Not personal items like a toothbrush and clothes and such.

I have a checklist of things I’d like to do before I depart, but was wondering what sorts of automobile stuff I should take along in case of emergency. Do you take spare water pumps, belts, etc.? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Besides driving her some 1300-1400 miles round trip, I might run her once or twice down the quarter mile, but will probably take it easy. It’s only a 3:36 rear end and the tires are stock 14” wheels with a set of common radials. It slips easily, tires being the weak link. I’m not trying to set any records, just funnin’ around. I might think about doing a little bit of tuning if we find that we can improve things.

Thanks in advance!

TomK

gearhead409

Well Known Member
TomK

i think a AAA card would be nice. you are one brave man, and drag race it too??? it's a long way home using your thumb!!! but then again 409s will run forever providing you can keep the gas tank full.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Take an axle or two if you are running stock axles and going to 1320 it. Maybe a water pump. Try to get a pump on Saturday at the local parts store. Other than that lots of gas money! Have a safe trip Tom! Brian

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey Tom

We put about 3-4000 miles a year on the old cars without any serious problems.
Lube/oil/filter...check the levels....tires etc............:scratch

Some basic tools, mechanics wire, coveralls. hand cleaner, 12v trouble light, extra points/condenser...oh and the most important.....a cooler.........:rolleyes:

and that just about does it.........good luck and enjoy the drive........:clap

:cheers
bj

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Tom,I would take fan belts,radiator hoses and a cell phone with charger. Here's a phone # for information you can use on your cell phone 800-373-3411.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Tom: In my older other life road trips were an experience Bjburnout has it down pretty good. I have used vice grips to hold a center bearing assembly together and I would add a water pump,starter and Gen or alternator especially the ones in a box that you can return to you local parts store if not used.
Robert

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
A pocket full of money,,,,enough of that and you can have the car flatbedded anywhere! :brow

I like your simple approach Ray.:roll Generally around here the rates are close to $2.70 per loaded mile or $1.35 for round trip to give Tom an estimate of cash needed.

Tony Salins

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hi Tom,

If you are going to make some passes down the 1/4 mile I would also bring some push rods, U joints and center bearing along with all the above. I also like to take two gallons of water and duct tape.

Tony

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Tom,
Sounds like you need to rent a small to medium U Haul to carry this minor shop and pile repair parts around with you!
:roll :roll

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Trunk parts

No plans to install a bumper hitch to this car! If it fits in the trunk, I'll take it :).
So far, in addition to the obvious fluids and such, I plan to take belts, hoses, clamps, a water pump, an alternator, and two axles :). Still adding to the list. Of course tools to work on the side of the road...

Thanks to all for your contributions. Wasn't thinking about push rods, center bearings, etal until Tony mentioned it :).

Thanks!
TomK

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
On this fourth of July I will also think about prepping for Norwalk. This is my list so far.
CAR
Put new tar topper on
change valve covers(Dick MacKenzie has seen the old ones:eek: )
clean tires and wheels
bring car keys!:doh
TRAILER
Figure how to mount 12v cooler/refridgerator
load tent and small tools
rewire aux backup lights with HOA switch
take spare tire!!:eek:
YUKON
Change engine oil,transmission fluid, flush radiator, rotate tires and change air filter.
Check the air in the spare tire:eek:
make sure satellite radio subscription is paid
OTHER
if refridgerator isn't mounted figure how to keep a few Smith Island layer cakes cool. With out loading THE cooler in the trailer(need room for the car)
Ann wants to make MD. crab dip for salad or appetizer but says she needs to cook it and wonders how we do it without a stove. Maybe someone will have a working stove out there. I told her Ray won't have one because he specializes in men's picnics:bow :bow I am figuring if I can't race the JV348 then can do some cooking and offering a cake treat from Smith Island! or just drinking beer unless a pit crew person is needed since DQ willbe assembling his back yard and can't make it:roll :roll
Robert

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Robert,sounds like allot of work,good thing your starting now.Whats a tar topper on your car :dunno Whats the tent for,I thought you camping out in your trailer ?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Robert
What kind of stove are we talking about? I have a propane, one burner stove! Does your significant other wish that I bring such a contraption :dunno

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
My Norwalk preparations

Seeing as how you all are getting ready for the big trip...thought I'd better start my preparations too.

Went and topped off the gas tank, put the rain suit in the left saddle bag and washed the bugs off the windshield from today's ride.

WE'RE GOOD TO GO!!!!!!!!:roll :roll :roll :roll :roll

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Robert,sounds like allot of work,good thing your starting now.Whats a tar topper on your car :dunno Whats the tent for,I thought you camping out in your trailer ?

Jim..The tent is for shade at the car if needed. We are going to stay back in town this time... I got one of those battery topper things to look like a classic battery without the classic battery costs and issues. Ray your stove probably won't work because that stuff has to be "baked" . I wondered why Phil wasn't going to take a car now I know. Friends of mine here that travel alot on their bikes pack in the same style
Robert