Preserve Brake Rotor Surface from Rusting

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am doing a frame off restoration on my 62 SS and have converted it over to 4 wheel disc brakes. The frame is completed and because I am doing this at my home I have to leave the frame outside (the body is still in the garage) and am getting alot of surface rust on the rotor pad surface. Does anyone know what i can put on it to keep from rusting?

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I've always believed that rotor surface rust wasn't harmful. Besides I'm sure you will finish that job before serious pitting rusting occurs.:D
Robert

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You can oil it down but make sure you clean it really good before you assemble your bakes.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Why don't you just take it over to Ronnie's climate controlled garage for storage??? I'm sure he wouldn't mind!!

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The climate in my shop is controlled by Mother Nature. Very nice right now. Brian's 327 will be finished tomorrow. He will post some pictures next week. Very impressive for a " little motor ". 409 next year.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Ace hardware

Metal Prep from Ace is what the rat rodders here use on the bare metal bodies.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the replies... I read a post in a corvette forum where they soaked the rotors in Oxy-Solve. I have some Fast Etch from Eastwood and am going to try this. Seems like it should work, at least until I get the car done and driveable.

bobs409

Administrator
I'd just lightly spray on some primer or cheap enamel paint. Then when you want to remove it, just hit it with brake cleaner. :deal

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
How about just throwing a large cover over the whole frame!

The rotors will still rust,,,,

Oil is the easist way to go.

Metal prep will only make matters worse if you don`t coat the metal immediatly afterwards,,,

I use waterproof boat trailer grease, a thin coat, then, wrap the rotor faces in freezer wrap paper. When I need to put the rotor back into service, solvent wash, brake clean, like brand new.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
How bad can rotors rust in Texas :dunno .Spray them with WD-40 when you store your car and then use brake clean when your ready to use your brakes.In Michigan I don't care about rust on rotors,the rust will clean off your rotors when you use your brakes.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
How bad can rotors rust in Texas :dunno .Spray them with WD-40 when you store your car and then use brake clean when your ready to use your brakes.In Michigan I don't care about rust on rotors,the rust will clean off your rotors when you use your brakes.

Jim: Pretty much sums all of my thoughts also:bow
Robert

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I wouldn't worry about it. There is some rust on breaks all the time around here if you don't drive on a regular basis. It come clean the first stop. I just drove my 95 SS that had been setting for 2 years, outside. There was PLENTY of rust on all 4 rotors. Drove it 2 miles and the rust is gone.

Unless it is pitted- not a problem:cool: