price on a 65 348 truck motor

111goose

I found a 'running' 348 motor. Haven't seen it yet or gotten the numbers off of it but what would be a fair price if indeed it is a non-rebuilt running truck motor with low miles? Was told it was end of the year and has a 409 oilpan. ??? I'm going to look at it this afternoon. Thanks for the help.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Good find!

I would venture to say that a 1965 348 truck engine in basic running condition would be worth $500 - $1000 depending on what your plans are.

Some of the parts are not components one might want on a passenger car, such as the water pump, the distributor and maybe the intake/carb setup. It costs $$$$ to replace those, so you might factor that in.

These 348s do use the 409 truck oil pan, so don't be fooled into thinking it's a 409 truck engine, which might be worth a bit more.

The block will likely be a "655" casting, the heads will probably be the 333s. Keep the oil pan and the valve covers.

I purchased a "stuck" engine similar to this a few years back (3-4-5) and the guy wanted $500, I offered him $100 and he balked for a while, but let me have it for a hundred bucks.

Hope that helps some, others will have an opinion to add :).

Good luck!

TomK

111goose

Thanks Tom. I actually have a 61 348 tri power that I bought back in Dec. to put in my '41 Chevy but when I tore it down and had it cleaned and baked it came back with a cracked block and both heads. So I have all the misc parts from that motor.The 65 has had the dist replaced and is complete including the exhaust manifolds. He said there was a govenor on the old one. He is asking $1400 which sounds high to me but I know these motors are getting harder and harder to find.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think Tom's numbers are good, $1k max, and that if it is running or has been out of the weather somewhere and isn't stuck or full of water.

111goose

Well Tom was right about the casting numbers. Why can't I find the #655 on the site? Thought I wrote it down wrong and it was #656.... Nope, damn. He is set on the price of $1400 cause he doesn't need to sell it. If I'm interested he will put it on a stand and fire it up so I can hear it run. It looks good and he says it runs good too. Its not rebuilt. I don't really want to spend that much on it tho. I'll include pics of it. By the way, he owns 5 Impalas but is looking for a '58 and a '63. His other ones are beautiful.

Attachments

• IMG00036.jpg
    IMG00036.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG00035.jpg
    IMG00035.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 68

lowelife

I have the same motor in my '31 model A, had to give $800 for it with a good TH350. Not a whole lot of power in stock form but it gets down the road pretty good.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
They all say "I don't need to sell it" but I'd still try to work him down to something reasonable around $1000 unless it is just your only decent option.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
way too much money for a 348 truck if you ask me. I just stumbled on one that was all complete untouched and missed out on the deal but he wanted $600 he let it go for $450 so they are out there for better prices. I say let this one go :deal

1960impala283

Well Known Member
Running is key in my opinion. If I can see a motor run, compression test it, pressure check the coolant system and check the coolant for contamination, I would spend a little more than on that motor than most.

If you only want a stock motor to drive, this is the best way to go. Rebuilding is expensive even for a stock motor.

Another bit of irony is, the cheapest motor I have ever purchased turned out to be the best. Go figure. :crazy

There're all a "pig in a poke" until you get home and let the cat out of the bag.

It's been my experience that the deals come when you don't need one, or want one.