priming tool problem

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
MRHP said:
If you aren't getting oil to the top end using a priming tool, I would hope the rear cam bearing is installed correctly. If the rear bearing is not in phase, you will not get oil to the top. Hope this is not the problem.:dunno I would not start the engine until I knew for sure.

I agree with MRHP,you need to get oil to the overhead.The rear cam bearing could be installed incorrectly,this has happened to 2 other club members.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Certainly MRHP and Jim are exactly correct with their concern of the rear cam bearing. With the many threads and posts on this subject recently, I assumed mabeauchamp would have checked that before assembly. Maybe I assumed too much, I hope not. mabeauchamp is a regular visitor and contributor to the forum, so I cant see him missing the threads. Since the primary focus was on a mis-designed priming tool, I did not mention cam bearing. My mistake. Maybe we will hear more today.

mabeauchamp

Supporting Member 1
To be honest, I couldn't be sure the rear cam bearing was installed correctly. I suspected it was. The shop I had do the short block has a great reputation in my area. Still, they were not very experienced on 409s. And, there was no pressure at all on the top. I've read threads about one side or the other not having pressure. I couldn't see two of three holes not aligning. This being the second priming tool with totally different measurements from the first reinforced it.

Being the anal retentive person I am, and seeing dollar signs on the money I had on the top end (scorpion rockers, isky lifters, cam, arp studs, etc.) I didn't want to chance it. I was 99.8% sure it was the tool, but I'm not a gambling type despite those odds.

Pulled the transmission and flywheel, etc. Excellent pressure at the driver and passenger valley plugs. I have pressure on the lower end, 60+ psi.

It's got to be the tool! :cuss I'll give SC a call on Monday and try to sort it out. Anyone got a 348 distributor that they'd like to part with?

(This evening I'm going to putting things back together, reinstalling flywheel, trans, etc. If anyone hears words a sailor would even say being yeld in the night. :cuss :cuss It's me fixing something that wasn't broke. :grumble: )

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I just measured the lower part of my SC priming tool and it measures 1.364 and my mallory dist measures the same.I have a Isky Roller Cam with roller lifters and Harland Sharp roller rockers,it took me about 10 to 15 min to get oil to 1 rocker and another 10 min for oil to come out of the 2nd rocker.It took me over an hour to prim all 16 rockers.I would try priming your rockers for at least 15 min,if you get oil to at least one rocker a side your ok,stop priming fill the rockers with oil before your ready to fire the 09 up.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I hope it is not the cam bearing. If the cam bearing is installed your oil pressure reading on the lower end would be fine. Try oiling for a few minutes. If you get no oil to the top, you either have gotten two bad pre-oilers or cam bearing trouble. I can't see any other way around it. I would say the chances you have gotten two bad oilers is pretty slim. :dunno

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cam Bearing ????

mabeauchamp,

I just went through the exact same problems you are having and it ended up being the rear cam bearing. My motor was also assembled by a quality builder, but stuff just happens....

If I'm correct which would surprise my wife ??? If the bearing is installed correctly you should be getting oil on your priming rod as long as it's developing pressure in the lower end and the cam bearing is installed correctly. The hole that provides oil to the upper end runs directly to the distributor shaft area. So if the bearing is installed correctly there would be pressurized oil into the shaft. It is then cared accross the distributor shaft to the upper end.

Maybe Ronnie or one of the others will correct me here.... :bow

mabeauchamp

Supporting Member 1
Well, it ended up being something so simple that I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it. Jim hit the nail on the head. It was a matter of timing. I was only hitting the drill/priming tool for about a minute at a time. I expected the pressure to be almost instaneous. Taking Jim's advice and after I checked the cam bearing, I stayed on the drill for about 10-15 minutes, maxing the drills rpms. Oil started squirting in all the places it should and none of the places it shouldn't.

Thanks to everyone who helped. I guess my biggest lesson to anyone who is going through this in the future, stay on the drill for ~15 minutes before you start worring and troubleshooting other things. It is usually something simple. Also, SC's redesign works great.

Once I finally get things put back together and get this beast started, feel free to drop me a line if you need to borrow the priming tool.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Happy

I am very happy to hear all is well. Glad it was somthing simple. Good luck with the rest of the build.