Progressive linkage?

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Another way to check valve to cyl clearance would be to put checking spring on #1 ex valve. Set valve lash to 0. Rotate crank to gain full valve lift, then push down on valve until it contacts cyl. You can put dial indicator on retainer and tell exactly what the clearance is. No better than gearheads suggestion, just a different way to do it. Stock valve size will allow .650 lift with pass. block, but once you increase diamiter, it hits the cyl sooner resulting in less clearance. Most suggest .100 minimum clearance but I have used .055 with no problem. Seems like even less would be safe. Not like the piston chasing the valve or valve chasing pistion, but I guess we need a minimum to go by.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Guys, the block I am working with is a 1965 truck block. Should have plenty of valve clearance. But I will check valve to clyinder wall clearance and post the results. Has anyone tried 1.8 rockers on these engines?? Thanks for the tips. I figure on psyching ole Fred out, I'll be working on him weeks before the race. :stooges

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ray, Seems as though I am always fighting vpc with 1.7s . No reason not to use 1.8s if you have the room. I just order the cam with the lift I want with 1.7s and then deepen the piston valve reliefs to get minimum vpc. 1.8s might be an easy way to get extra lift on the exhaust side on most engines. Word is that Fred is dead serious this year about revenge. Hope you dont get scared and stay at home.:roll :roll

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Harland Sharp 1.8

Ray,I was using 1.8 Roller Rockers on my Stroker motor,they worked good for me.I still have them and I'm not using them,I use 1.7 rockers now.I'll let you use them and if you like them I'll sell them to you for $100 :dunno

Attachments

• Picture 056.jpg
    Picture 056.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 26

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Jim, I am going to take you up on your most generous offer, I will be in touch.:bow Watch out Fred, here I come!:brow

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Ronnie Russell said:
Ray, Seems as though I am always fighting vpc with 1.7s . No reason not to use 1.8s if you have the room. I just order the cam with the lift I want with 1.7s and then deepen the piston valve reliefs to get minimum vpc. 1.8s might be an easy way to get extra lift on the exhaust side on most engines. Word is that Fred is dead serious this year about revenge. Hope you dont get scared and stay at home.:roll :roll

Ronnie, I ordered the cam I am gong to use (solid roller) to use with the ported 348 heads that top the 409 right now. I could use the added duration and lift that the 1.8 rockers will give me now that I have heads that will flow more air. Cam will still be quite managable with a conservative profile :brow

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Getting Serious

Hey, Denny, You busy? Looks like I might have some work to do. This is getting serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll Looks like I might have to go to the big shed and retreive some of the parts out there.:brow

Fred

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ray, Sounds like good ,sound logic to me, especially with a good price on the 1.8s . Fred is in the catalogue right now trying to find if they make a 1.9 rocker arm! :roll :roll

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
SS425HP said:
Hey, Denny, You busy? Looks like I might have some work to do. This is getting serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll Looks like I might have to go to the big shed and retreive some of the parts out there.:brow

Fred

This sounds like war,Fred's calling the Big Guns out :D :eek: :doh