Project update........

Monk

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Finally getting the 409 back into the '55.

Project has been fighting me a bit but I usually win.

Several upgrades I'm looking forward to........better valve springs, hydraulic clutch and
quick ratio manual steering box. The new steering box gives me lots more room around headers and
will result in much better road feel.

My patent pending engine pull plate :D

Monk

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
No.....that was pretty much it........can't wait till I fire it up again.

The shoebox probably shed over 100 lbs with this project.

mailman

Well Known Member
Have you run into interference with the left exhaust hitting the steering box? Or have you changed the steering gear?

bobs409

Administrator
Wow, and people say my garage is clean. :D

The only thing I'd change is the hydraulic clutch after battling with one in my Jeep. It's made me a strong believer in old fashion mechanical linkage. :bonk

Monk

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Have you run into interference with the left exhaust hitting the steering box? Or have you changed the steering gear?

My headers were built for a 500 power steering box.......now that I have the new quick ration manual there's much more room......and I
don't have to raise the engine to get the one bolt out.
Manual box is much smaller.

Monk

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Wow, and people say my garage is clean. :D

The only thing I'd change is the hydraulic clutch after battling with one in my Jeep. It's made me a strong believer in old fashion mechanical linkage. :bonk

My issue was the opposite........I've been fighting the Z bar and the hydraulic clutch gives me much needed room around the headers.
I'm hoping for good results.........what were your issues? curious

bobs409

Administrator
Well mine is a bit different, it's an internal slave cylinder so when it goes, you have to pull the whole transmission out! (and they are very problematic) I acquired all parts needed to convert to external like you have so won't be too bad after that is done.

It's just scared me off of the hydraulic design. Maybe they aren't all this bad. :D

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Thom:
How long ago was it that we witnessed the initial break in (doesn't seem that long ago...)? Ahat was the name of that place and where was it located?
Congrats on the upgrades!
TomK

Monk

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Well mine is a bit different, it's an internal slave cylinder so when it goes, you have to pull the whole transmission out! (and they are very problematic) I acquired all parts needed to convert to external like you have so won't be too bad after that is done.

It's just scared me off of the hydraulic design. Maybe they aren't all this bad. :D

I've heard the stories of leakage inside the bellhousing and that's why I've kept everything outside.
It I have any issues they will be visible ............when you get down to it.......this is a pretty simple design, one that
was used on the Shelby Cobras back in the day.

Monk

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thom:
How long ago was it that we witnessed the initial break in (doesn't seem that long ago...)? Ahat was the name of that place and where was it located?
Congrats on the upgrades!
TomK

That was at Jim Evans, Rolla Competiton Engines, in Rolla, MO........Winter of 2009