Pulling to the left hard

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ok so there I was.. empty road,, at my brother house for Mom and Pops 40th and I decided to do some testing.
The roads not totaly flat and there are some minor bumps but man does she pull hard to the left! As can be seen. The short stips where to warm the tires up some :D the other you can see it launched fine pulls left then when I shift, look out a ways, and it comes in an goes left again.
Full drag spool about 5500 N50's 26psi 4 link with 2" up. I noticed the passenger side tire is closer to the lower front lip than the drivers so I am only guessing my adjustable panhard is not centered :dunno
I am running stock rear shocks as well so that's a given but the off center on the panhard has me wondering.
Also: Pullies, I shreaded my alternator WP one even though it is aligned good and solid. Is there a low cost fix for this?
thanks

Attachments

• IMAGE_267.jpg
    IMAGE_267.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMAGE_268.jpg
    IMAGE_268.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAGE_269.jpg
    IMAGE_269.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMAGE_270.jpg
    IMAGE_270.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 56

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Ok so there I was.. empty road,, at my brother house for Mom and Pops 40th and I decided to do some testing.
The roads not totaly flat and there are some minor bumps but man does she pull hard to the left! As can be seen. The short stips where to warm the tires up some :D the other you can see it launched fine pulls left then when I shift, look out a ways, and it comes in an goes left again.
Full drag spool about 5500 N50's 26psi 4 link with 2" up. I noticed the passenger side tire is closer to the lower front lip than the drivers so I am only guessing my adjustable panhard is not centered :dunno
I am running stock rear shocks as well so that's a given but the off center on the panhard has me wondering.

thanks

With all that new stuff you just put in. Make sure the rear is centered front to back and side to side. Sounds like one side of the rear is to far foward (or back), N50 tires? Sounds like bias plys or radial. With all that power and no traction, lane changes can be instant. I recomend some sort of sticky tires. They are better in every way. (except rain) A must for a high horse power street car. Could also think about an air bag to preload the right rear spring. Might help out a little.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yup Bias-belted coker N50's on the rear. Looking for some ET Streets or a comparable brand if someone has any opinions on any other tires.
Can the upper control arms change the distances or only the panhard bar?
I know I have to redo the pre load since I did it with no one in the car..oops!
Any hints on squaring things up?

thanks!

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Tic, measure from the lower ball joint center to a point on the opposite side of the rear end center of axle tube. X the measurments. I don't think you will find that it is out. Probably need to preload the rear end right side. May have been a little camber in the road! I just looked at your pictures of the burn out, looks like the patch is darker on the driver side for some reason? Check tire pressure.

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
6-8-10

to square a car...........level it both ways on jackstands with the rear springs loaded. hang a plumbob from the center of the frame under the engine, mark the floor. hang plumb from center of car at rear frame. mark floor. hang plumb from the center of each axle. mark floor. now that you have 4 marks, chalkline from front to rear. chalk from left to right. now there will be an intersection under the axle. from that inter, measure 8ft forward. mark spot. from intersection, mark 6ft to the left or right (your choice) anyway mark spot. if the measurement between the 2 marked spots is not exactly 10 ft. you have something wrong. correct and triple check until you have 6-8-10.
to pre-load 4 link..............as above, have the car leveled and loaded as driven with your weight in it, fuel whatever. loosen the locknuts on the right upper arm only. turn the arm whatever direction until loose. nuetraling it. now turn it by hand in the lengthining direction until snug. then go 1/6th of turn (longer) and lock it down.
now your squared and loaded. that takes those 2 out of the whats wrong list if it still goes sideways. springs and shox can be adjusted to cure some of that. the panhard having the rear housing slightly off center.....does'nt have a big effect on launching straight. Bob Walker Jr.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
to square a car...........level it both ways on jackstands with the rear springs loaded. hang a plumbob from the center of the frame under the engine, mark the floor. hang plumb from center of car at rear frame. mark floor. hang plumb from the center of each axle. mark floor. now that you have 4 marks, chalkline from front to rear. chalk from left to right. now there will be an intersection under the axle. from that inter, measure 8ft forward. mark spot. from intersection, mark 6ft to the left or right (your choice) anyway mark spot. if the measurement between the 2 marked spots is not exactly 10 ft. you have something wrong. correct and triple check until you have 6-8-10.
to pre-load 4 link..............as above, have the car leveled and loaded as driven with your weight in it, fuel whatever. loosen the locknuts on the right upper arm only. turn the arm whatever direction until loose. nuetraling it. now turn it by hand in the lengthining direction until snug. then go 1/6th of turn (longer) and lock it down.
now your squared and loaded. that takes those 2 out of the whats wrong list if it still goes sideways. springs and shox can be adjusted to cure some of that. the panhard having the rear housing slightly off center.....does'nt have a big effect on launching straight. Bob Walker Jr.

Hmmmm, this sounds a little better than my way. :roll

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
WOW! That was exactly what I needed to know! Thank you:bow Now I got me a plan to work from and further testing.

I know that given the power being put to rear wheels and that I am a strip street setup it will never be perfect but I would like it to be safe and launch when needed. I never realy opened the ol girl up all the way like this test and it opened my eye's rather quickly to the need of some fine tuning to the suspension. :eek:
I'll tell you what though when that tunnel rams duals come on and the nose it up there's nothing that could have made that smile go away! :beerbang

Going to go look at som ET Streets tonight as well:D

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tic, you'll love the ET streets. Don't let the ET "STREET" portion of the name fool ya. Its a serious tire :deal

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
basic right triangle theory...(axa)+(bxb)=(cxc) :? :dunno

ok? if you say so. this here bubba aint good at cypherin.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
PayPal donation in the name of Walker

Thanks to you the issue was quickly fixed and I am back in the straights again!
Soooo I made a 25.00 PayPal donation to the site for your excellent advise! Don't worry I got's more questions:D

I FUBARARD but tightening the passenger side not lengthing it! So my wheel was closer and I did not hook right!

thank you!!!

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Straight and narrow !!!

Tic,

So the big weekend is coming up !!!! Sounds like you have your problem fixed and will be able to negoiate the straight and narrow HotShot course. See you there !!! :clap:clap

Nuts

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
basic right triangle theory...(axa)+(bxb)=(cxc) :? :dunno

ok? if you say so. this here bubba aint good at cypherin.

Bob does this make it any easier: A squared + Bsquared = C squared or maybe 64 + 36 = 100 the square root of which is 10.

All I know is I forgot about putting old tires on for a burn out contest :doh and forgetting they were on when I nailed my 66 from a stop sign and when it shifted into second that back end snapped very very hard to the right and I almost spun out, or worse, this from a car with the regular tires you could let go of the wheel and it always went straight. By the way, I like your way better than the way I've done it in the past.

Ray

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Tic , were you in texas, I noticed one on those Texas family trees in your pictures?:roll:roll

Ray

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Tic , were you in texas, I noticed one on those Texas family trees in your pictures?:roll:roll

Ray

Naw just rual Idaho:) My front road has to many black marks to figure out what's what so I am using my brothers now :roll Plus I think Johnny Law might wonder why I was washing off black marks! "Cause I need to make some more cause I think I figured out the problem LOL!"
Last time I drove accross Texas I swear I could have bungy corded the steering wheel and dropped a brick on the gas peddle of the VW Van and palyed a few hours of gin rummy in back at the table before needing to turn!:D