Purchased generator

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I figured it was time to go out and buy a generator, we don't have much trouble around here of losing power due to weather related or other reasons, but this is one area I have great faith in the Green Potato to totally screw things up!! I was perusing thru the FB classifieds and ran across a new Westinghouse generator 9500/12500 running watts/start up, dual fuel. He was asking $675 for it and I ended up getting it $650, and from what I've seen these run around $1K, so now I need to get it wired into the breaker box.

Mark

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Hey guys I have a couple questions. Anybody know what the shelf life might be on propane? I have 4 20 lb. bottles laying around that have been filled for around 20 years? My other question is motor oil. My generator came with a bottle of oil but I want to run synthetic oil in it. Would any good synth oil be ok or should I buy some for air-cooled motors?

Here's a pik of the generator I bought.

Mark

Reactions: 327

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
propane can be stored indefinitely. However, many tanks last about 30 years. I would start using those tanks

As far as your oil question, no idea except why change from what the manufacturer says? You don't normally run a backup generator enough to use a lot of oil

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I was just on Bob the oil Guys forum and found my answer on propane shelf life and it's just as you say indefinitely. thanks Mike. Yeah, I filled those tanks back in the Y2K days when all the computers were supposed to crash.

Mark

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Hey guys I have a couple questions. Anybody know what the shelf life might be on propane? I have 4 20 lb. bottles laying around that have been filled for around 20 years? My other question is motor oil. My generator came with a bottle of oil but I want to run synthetic oil in it. Would any good synth oil be ok or should I buy some for air-cooled motors?

Here's a pik of the generator I bought.

Mark
You need to break in the generator with conventional oil before switching to a synthetic oil. I think you need about 5 hours for brea in.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I didn't know that Brodie Thanks. Like I said it came with a bottle of oil which is 1.1 quarts the exact amount the generator takes, it doesn't say what Country the oil came from I just assumed it was China, who I don't regard as a maker of fine oils!

Mark

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I didn't know that Brodie Thanks. Like I said it came with a bottle of oil which is 1.1 quarts the exact amount the generator takes, it doesn't say what Country the oil came from I just assumed it was China, who I don't regard as a maker of fine oils!

Mark
Oil from China?, hell that generator is made in China

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Oil from China?, hell that generator is made in China

I looked all over it and in the manual too, I think I'll need an Ovaltine super decoder ring to find out where it's made, it's been wiped clean, but my money's on the land of pointy headed Chinks, just like everything is!:crazy

Mark

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
If it has an oil filter syn should be fine no oil filter non detergent, detergent oils carry particles non detergent does not, the filter collects the dirt particles

I wish it did have an oil filter Newby but it doesn't, so I guess I'll just have to screw a Kotex down through the oil fill, down into the crankcase. And I'll do this just as soon as the Potato deems it a must have.:crazy I hate to think of all these poor wimmins having to go to the Red Cross to get their levels topped off :D

Mark

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Most Generac and all Kohlers are made in USA. I just found out that Harbor freight generators are made in USA, who would have thought

Are you sure it's our (or BitezMe's USA) USA! The Japs came up with this USA ploy way back when the only thing they made over there was little metal toy cars made out of American soup cans!

Well for the size of this generator and what I paid for it I can't complain I guess.

Mark

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The only reason I mentioned that your generator was made in China was because you were bitching about China oil.

• Haha

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The only reason I mentioned that your generator was made in China was because you were bitching about China oil.

Well, they say it's junk oil from what I've read Mike. All those tractors that are made in China they said don't even start them up with Chinese Oil in the motor!

Mark

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Throw some 10-30 in it.....done. Or throw that stuff you have in it unless it's a Race Generator that chips out at 7,000....

55Brodie

Well Known Member

Mark
I have a Champion generator that looks identical to your Westinghouse unit. I made a useful modification as I found moving the thing to be quite awkward to move due to it weighing over 200 lbs. and the angle and height of the folding handle didn't allow one to get easy leverage. My fix was to install two swivel casters with brakes in place of the supplied brackets and rubber feet.