Pushrod guide plates

rob read

Does anyone know or heard of someone who makes guide plates for a 348? and has anyone run 3/8 pushrods on a 348, what needs to be done to the heads?

Rob

b-d409

Well Known Member
Guide-Plates

Rob,

I am using guide-plates on my 409 engine. To be honest, if I had known what a pain in the rear it was going to be I wouldn't have gone that route. Only after I was committed to using them did I find out that they weren't really necessary. It is my understanding that only the Z-11's used them stock.

All 348's use 5/16 pushrods not 3/8. 3/8 pushrods were only used on the high perf 409 heads. To run 3/8 pushrods on a 348 head, they would definately have to be modified.

What I have learned: To use guide plates, the heads have to be machined for screw-in studs. The existing pushrod slots in the head have to be opened up as you can't use both. You will also have to use hardened pushrods as guide-plates will chew up stock pushrods. You will also have to contend with trying to find a set that works properly. The first set of guide-plates that I purchased didn't even come close to working. I ended up getting a set from Phil Reed that worked great, but I still had some minor hand fitting to do. That is common I found out.

I would definately check with Phil before you make your decision, as he can advise you much better than I can. He was a great help to me.

Just some food for thought.

Dan

Attachments

• Drivers Side.jpg
    Drivers Side.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 78