Put rings on pistons

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OK no laughing. What is the best and easyer way to install rings on a 348 30 over. Is it realy that scary? Oh ya the rings are moly. Thanks gentlemen:bow

4d9r

Well Known Member
johnnyrod said:
OK no laughing. What is the best and easyer way to install rings on a 348 30 over. Is it realy that scary? Oh ya the rings are moly. Thanks gentlemen:bow

Curt Harvey's "Mr409" website sez: The 409s because of their angled block were not designed for ring compressor use. You must use your fingers to gently squeeze the rings together as you tap the piston into the cylinder.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
How we did it

I am assuming you are not referring to sliding the rings on the pistons, but rather setting the pistons in the bore. There are tricks and methods for both :).

Don't bark at me for saying this, but it is possible to install "W" pistons using an old fashioned ring compressor. You just have to use the right one. My buddy, James Schrader, has several of these compression tools at his shop, all oldies. We fit up several and chose one that looked like it could do the job. Don't know if we were smart or lucky, but I did save all my fingernails in using this tool. We were real careful in tapping the piston down over the angled bore. Once in, things of course are a breeze.

I'll be interested to hear what others think of this, because I hope to do it again later this summer...

Good luck!
TomK

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I have installed rings on all my W rebuilds by hand, most times a little skin goes in with the piston and rings, :eek:

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This is nothing most of the members dont already know, but maybe some help for newer members. By rotating 2nd groove ring so that one end is actually in the cyl ( just barely) , it only takes compressing the top end , so that piston can be tapped in the hole. Same method on the top ring, but on the other side. This allows a good ring stagger. Not a true 180 degrees , but close.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I have always used a ring compressor on 409's. Whats the problem? The compressor fits in the area above the cylinder perfectly. Tap it down till it bottoms, then tap the pistons in. I haven't broke a ring yet. :brow Just don't forget to use plenty of oil. Skip:)

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
Yes it can be done without a ring compessor but why tempt fate? I have several early 60's GM service manuals that that show a conventionall ring compressor (the one with the two bands around it that wrap) only installing it upside down. has always worked for me, no broken rings and no lost skin. they just slide in like a greased pig.:beerbang

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mister Goodwrench, I would not argue that the compressor is not a good way, although I have never used one on a W-head motor. If the service manual says so, then it must be correct. But I would argue about " tempting fate". By using fingers, you can actually see the end gaps. Zero chance of hanging up a ring. Like always , there is more than one way to skin a cat. Both ways work, but if I were building my first W-head, I still think fingers would be safer. JMO :)

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Name that tool

Ronnie:

What is the technical name for that heavily-knuckled tool I see in the picture :)?

Is this one-of-a-kind, or can I get one from Snap On?

Cheers!
TomK

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The older, fatter, and uglier I get, the more ridicule I must suffer. The fist is much safer than allowing my wife to help me. Never let a woman hold a hammer!!!! :roll