Putting in the 409 (finally)

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
My 63 Impala is finally ready to have the 409 go in. I was just wondering when installing the engine what have people found the best way to deal with the front mounts? I was was thinking the best way would be to assemble the mounts to the engine put in the through bolt and position the bottom half of the mount over the holes in the frame. I remember when I removed the small block it was pretty tight down there.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
My 63 Impala is finally ready to have the 409 go in. I was just wondering when installing the engine what have people found the best way to deal with the front mounts? I was was thinking the best way would be to assemble the mounts to the engine put in the through bolt and position the bottom half of the mount over the holes in the frame. I remember when I removed the small block it was pretty tight down there.

I just went through this in May this year putting in our 409. What I did was, First I cut 3/8" bolts off, I used 1 and 1/2" to 2" long, then I slot the ends so I can get them out of the block with a flat blade screw driver, after that I secure the rear of the engine with a couple of bolts I then lift the engine as high as it will go until it hits the firewall (put a towel if you do not want to scratch it) with the engine sitting that high I proceed to put the motor mounts on with the bolts then tighten them up and drop down the engine. The bolts at the bottom of the motor mounts can be a little tricky and might need the use of a 9/16" swivel socket. That's how I did it and have done it this way on all my Small Block, Big Blocks and W-engines. Works like a charm.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
What length bolts do the frame mounts take for those 4? Mine is missing the passengers side. Got the Showcars (which needed a "squeeze" for the motor mount to even slide on it) just need to put it on.