Question about putting cowl on my 63 Impala?

Smokey1963

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Getting ready to start putting several pieces back on the car. I cannot remember if I need to put the windshield clips on first and then the cowl. Looks like it has to go that way because once the cowl is on there doesn't appear to be any access.

Also my windshield washer squirters and hoses, do they go on top of the cowl or below it?

Thank
Ed

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Ed, the cowl goes on after the windshield trim has been installed. If I remember correctly, the cowl piece slides up into the trim retaining clips. The washer nozzles go through small oval openings in the front of the cowl piece and almost protrude up and out between the grates.

I type too slow Bob.

Smokey1963

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So I must wait until I get the glass in before installing the cowl. I was just hoping to have one less piece to get dinged up before I get it on the car.
Thanks

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So I must wait until I get the glass in before installing the cowl. I was just hoping to have one less piece to get dinged up before I get it on the car.
Thanks

I just put one in yesterday,windshield molding clips first then windshield with sealant,do a water check at this time and if no leaks put the windshield moldings on and then the cowl.Don't forget the two little pieces of foam rubber under the cowl that help to direct air down and thru the rockers.

Last edited: