Question for the engine gurus

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I bought a 55 basically to flip. The seller didn't know jack about engines etc. He thought it had a 327 but it turns out to have a 265 with 327 camel hump heads:dunno and a performer intake. He put a new carb, a 750 Demon:doh
My first thought is to replace carb with a 500 cfm Eddy. Question: do you think the 500 would make a noticeable driving difference over the oversized 750? I'm ready to pull the trigger on the carb but thought I'd get some opinions first.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey Mike.
I'm no expert but that combo that you have at the moment I think would be real lazy down low. Not real exciting to drive but then I suppose it depends on the cam and internals.
500cfm should wake it up response wise I would think.

Steve

Got pics of the car?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I hear you, I'm just pondering if it's enough of an improvement to justify the $300 just for a flip. It is a pretty nice looking car though.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
What are the primary throttle blade sizes for the two carbs? That will tell if there will be a noticeable change.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Took the air cleaner off to see which model Demon, 750 mechanical secondary's and some one removed the choke:doh Why do people do this stuff:scratch Puling the trigger on the Eddy 500. By the way on Ebay Pep Boys has the best price, they beat out Summit on this one:appl I have a Holly 600 that I removed from a previous vehicle, same crap someone removed the choke.:no

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It looks like a nice car. :beerI mean really nice.
I'm guessing the carb should help but with an older car like that you never know if maybe somebody has done something like installing a cam that's a little too big.
Anyway, the smaller carb should help no matter what. It's got to be worth a try and you can always sell the Demon carb.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice looking rig. Keep us posted as to who you fin the best deal from on the brakes...:brow

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I think the answer, is right under Mile's nose.:doh:laugh3 Very nice car.:bowOnly in California.:doh:clap