Question on ground straps

62_Conv_2-4s

Well Known Member
I know the ground strap kit was included in with the radio option. My question is was there any ground straps used when the radio was deleted? it would seem there must be some kind of ground needed between the engine and the body/frame assembly.

427John

Well Known Member
In cases where things like instrument cluster lights and courtesy and dome lights ground to the body there needs to be at least 1 ground strap from the body to the chassis,if you've ever seen a car with dim cluster and dome lights its probably a poor ground,kind of like when you see a trailer going down the road with dim or intermittent lights.

62_Conv_2-4s

Well Known Member
My 64 Impala SS was a radio delete car. Only ground strap it had was the small braided copper one on the right front body mount bracket.
Thanks, Your answer is just what I was looking for. I have a 62 impala ss radio delete car but I'm sure it is much the same. Thanks again!

Ronniemac

On my 58 Bel Air non radio car there were no ground straps attached anywhere when I removed the body from the frame. The battery negative cable to cylinder head was the only ground. According to the assembly manual there is a ground from the firewall to the valve cover screw, and from the frame to the firewall. I noted that the firewall already has the holes for the screws attaching points as does the frame.