Question regarding trunk lids.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Gotta question, guys. On a '61 Impala sport coupe [bubbletop] , does the trunk lid from a 4 door post car interchange with the hardtop?Seems with an overall shortage of these cars any more, it's difficult to find one for a comparison test. If there were a compatibility of interchangeability here, somebody on this forum would know.Thanks in advance.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I have the trunk lid from a 4 door Belair sedan (post) that fits on my 1961 Belair Sport Coupe. Even has the two tail lights :).

Pretty sure all 1961 trunk lids were the same except for the number of tail lights (and of course the trim package or lack thereof).

Cheers! TomK

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Many many moons ago, one of my drag racing buddies had a bunch of cars at his house. One was a '61 Impala 2 door sedan (post car) and the other was a 2 door Bel Air post car. Both are pretty rare today. Impala Sport Coupes,( bubbletops) were still around in available quantities, but I thought recently it would have been fun to get a bubble top Impala, use all the stuff from the Bel Air sedan and make the bubble into a Bel Air, and switching the stuff taken from the Impala into the Bel Air. Would have been fun. Sounds like it would have been a doable arrangement. Now, if I had that option,I would have used the Impala sedan for what we did with the Bel Air. We put a legal 283 into it, a bunch of gear, a race Powerglide into it, and ran it at Pomona for the Winternationals one year. It was a very low dollar car, but it proved that a hobbyist could still get into Stock Eliminator on a barely affordable level. You still can, it just costs more. Doesn't everything else?

Reactions: 327

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
They did make bubble top bel airs, 61 and 62 :dunno
The one car that was around our area for some time many years ago was a 1961 Bel Air convertible. Looked georgeous. Guy claimed it was original but no such thing supposedly ever existed. Use to be at Pomona swap and the Twilight cruise

62BillT

Well Known Member
Right, in '61 all the Trunk Lids Interchange. The only difference is the Tail Lights and Trim. Three of them will work correctly. The Impala for Impala, Bel-Air for Bel-Air and Biscayne for Biscayne, although you can use a Biscayne Lid on a Bel-Air if you drill holes for the moldings.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
All 1961 to 1964 Chevy trunk lids are the same and will fit on any 2 door, 4 door, Hardtop or convertible.
The only difference is -that belair and biscayne trunk lids had only 2 tailights and all impalas had 4 tailights.

Paul