Quick primer on Z-11 heads

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I need a quickie primer on Z-11 heads. I recall discussing this with Jack Gibbs a while back, but I got confused. Did some of the castings vary over time? Is there a "more desirable" Z-11 head as opposed to one possibly cast for "replacement"? Are there different casting numbers? What are the correct casting numbers for these type of heads? What does one look for when examining said heads?

Ditto for the two piece intakes.

Inquiring minds want to know :).

Cheers,
TomK

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
Alan Colvin's Chevrolet by the Numbers 1960-64 edition has a photo of a Z11 head cast by Winters Foundry and a photo of a Z11 head cast by Chevrolet's Central Foundry.

Rick

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Is there a significant difference between the CFD and the Winters heads? Which ones were on the 1963 Z-11 Impalas, and are the others "over the counter" or replacement components?

Always thought Winters did the aluminum castings for GM, now I know more!

Thanks!

TomK

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
Colvin doesn't offer any other info except Chevrolet didn't cast all the Z11 heads at the same foundry. From the photos the heads look the same except for the casting symbol. I believe Winters probably only used the familiar "snowflake" symbol on aluminum castings because the symbol on the iron heads is a W. I don't have Colvin's book here at my Tampa home so I'm going on memory. I was talking to Fred several years ago while we were having lunch with his brother down in the Naples area. Fred said he saw the 1962 over the counter "Z11" style heads head next to the '63 heads and there were differences in the castings. (I'll never get over Fred's passing) A couple years ago a pair of Z11 heads were up for auction on ebay. One head had was a CF casting, the other Winters.

Rick

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This is a common misconception about the "W" symbol on Z-11 heads. The Winters Foundry never cast any Z-11 heads and the "W" that does appear on some Z-11 heads actually stands for the Wheland Foundry that was in Chattanooga, TN.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Why do I suspect that there's more to this sudden interest that Tom's not telling us about?:rub:think:pop

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Cecil I am thinking the same. I don't have to ask that question as there was no Z-11 around here! Now those "funny" Pontiacs yes
robert

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
it's a bit of a story, but yes, I am considering trading my wife of 32 years for some rare components. It's more of a trade off than a trade. If she finds out I've mortgaged the Farm for these parts, I'll be living by myself in a cardboard box on the side of the freeway :).

So, is there a different value for one set of heads over the other? Anything to be aware of when validating these?

I just want to know if I'm too spendy...

Cheers!

TomK

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Hey Tom, when you trade your wife for these heads, you'll be able to put them on the bench, and lo and behold they want talk back or insist you shovel the snow from your porch! :roll:roll:roll

seriously, good luck with your hunt.

cheers

oil4kids

Well Known Member
My Z11 heads have a cast triangle in the middle of cylinders 3 and 5 and i believe have a WF in the middle of the triangle. I also have a blueprint of the heads if anyone is interested.

I was at The Studebaker Museum in south bend indiana over the weekend and saw a Studebaker V8 with a factory 2 piece dual quad intake with 2 afbs 304.5 cubic-inch, dual-quad "R4" engine

Looked a lot like the Z11 intake

What happenned to the Studebaker company was criminal, They made horse draw carragies for so many presidents including Lincoln.

oil4kids

Well Known Member
stude.JPG Studebaker V8 with a factory 2 piece dual quad intake with 2 afbs 304.5 cubic-inch, dual-quad "R4" engine

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Back in about 1962 or 1963 I had a humbling experience with a Studebaker. One night I was driving west on I-70 toward the then new Missouri river bridge in my 62 409 Impala 3.08 rear gears when a little car pulled up along side on my left - he and his buddy looked over at me and off we went. We were side by side for a bit and then I noticed a whine from his little car - the faster we went the louder it whined & the louder it whined the faster it went. At about 100 mph the 409 started to cut out (plugs and/or points) and the little car ran off and left me. I am not a top end guy and don't know what came over me. I realized I was doing a foolish thing, let off the gas and looked down to see how fast I was going and thought I broke the speedometer - no needle. Shortly the needle came bouncing down from the right. I learned not to mess with those little supercharged Studebaker Avanti.

Studebaker built good cars and some styles really looked good.

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Clyde you were had, Studebaker tried to make a comeback with the help of Andy Granatelli, in 62-64 the dual quad engine went to paxton superchargers on each carb,in fact a r4 supercharged Avainti went 200mph at the salt flats, not to bad for a stock interior car , the Avanti is at the museum, that supercharged engine was supposed to be available in any car including the so called Lark,

studea.JPG

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
A friend in HS back in 61 had a 60 4 door Lark that was bone stock (belonged to his grandfather) and it was the quicker than just about any 57-61 sb Chev around.

oil4kids

Well Known Member
btw the thick oil supplement that Andy Granatelli wanted in the Studebaker engines was from a St Joe Missouri company was called Studebaker Tested Product later called STP then i think reused its original name scientifically treated petroleum

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
...So, is there a different value for one set of heads over the other?...

I'd say no...

...unless there's someone out there who is so nit-picky in restoring (or re-creating) a "date correct" engine that he/she can only have a set of heads that were cast at the correct foundry for the date in question. I suspect one could count the number of such people on less than one hand.

I think the typical 348/409 enthusiast (fanatic) would be happy just having a set of the heads, even if they are a mis-matched pair.