RACER's This is Scary!!!

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Scary

Jim, I just saw this the other day. I just this AM sent it to several of the guys that race and travel some distance. Heck, my pick up and trailer with the car on it goes over 10,000 pounds. This is nuts. DOT physical, log book, DOT number on the cab. I guess they want the racers off the road!!!!!!!!! Or back on the streets! Never an end to the hassle.

Fred

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Fred, here's yet more... From Jackee Allen.

"I heard about that situation in Wisconsin. A good friend of ours is one of the lead CVI's for the state of MN. He keeps us up to date and makes sure we are licensed correctly. This is the check list he provided us with."

1.) Do you declare prize money as income from a business for tax purposes?

2.) Are the costs for the underlying activities deducted as a business expense for tax purposes?

3.) Do you accept products and / or money for advertising a sponsor?

4.) Is the transport vehicle being used in the furtherance of a commercial operation?

If you answered “YES” to either question 1, 2, 3 or 4, continue to question 5. If you answered “NO” to ALL questions (1-4),

STOP HERE, you are not in the furtherance of a commercial operation.

5.) Is the “gross vehicle weight” of the single vehicle or combination (truck and trailer) greater than 10,000 lbs?

YES – You must follow the appropriate regulations for the location(s) you travel in. i.e. interstate or intrastate.

NO – STOP HERE! You are not subject to the commercial vehicle regulations.

Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is the greater of the manufacturer’s gross weight rating (GVWR) or the actual weight of the vehicle plus the load. If the transport vehicle consists of a truck and trailer, add the GVWR or actual weight of truck to the GVWR or actual weight of the trailer to obtain the gross vehicle weight of the combination. DO NOT use the registered weight on the vehicle license plate(s) to determine your GVW or GVWR.

Interstate requirements:

(If you travel into another state you are an “interstate” carrier)

If the vehicle/combination’s GVW is greater than 10,000 lbs:

• CMV driver must be at least 21 and possess a valid USDOT physical card/form.

• Equipment requirements apply.

• Hours of Service requirements apply.

• You must have a USDOT number and display it on the power unit.

• Transport vehicle(s) must carry proof of an annual inspection.

• Record keeping requirements apply.

• Accident Recording requirements apply.

• If the vehicle/combination’s GVW is greater than 26,000 lbs:

• You must follow the above items.

• CMV drivers must possess the proper class Commercial Driver’s License

• Drug and Alcohol Testing requirements apply.

• Alcoholic beverages may not be consumed in a Commercial Motor Vehicle.

• Alcohol may only be transported in a CMV as part of the manifested shipment.

Intrastate requirements:

(If you only operate in Minnesota without crossing state borders)

• If the vehicle/combination’s GVW is greater than 10,000 lbs:

• CMV driver must be at least 18 and possess a valid USDOT physical card/form.

• Hours of Service requirements apply.

• Carrier must have a USDOT number if the power unit has a GVW / GVWR greater than 10,000 pounds. The USDOT must be carried in power unit.

• Record keeping requirements apply.

• Accident Recording requirements apply

• If the vehicle/combination’s GVW is greater than 26,000 lbs:

• You must follow the above items, and

• CMV drivers must possess an appropriate Commercial Driver’s License

• Drug and Alcohol requirements apply. Contact an agency listed in this brochure for specific requirements.

• Transport vehicle(s) must show proof of an Annual Inspection performed by a Minnesota Certified Inspector.

MOTOR HOMES that are registered as “recreational vehicles” (RV license plate) CANNOT be used in the furtherance of a commercial operation. If you wish to use a motor home as part of your commercial operation, you must register the motor home in the “Y” (truck) class. :eek:

Attachments

• Police_Blue_car_ani..gif
    Police_Blue_car_ani..gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 56

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
"sort of a pre-toetag"

You bet Bob, Diabetics (I'm one) are quite nervous about this stuff. :scratch

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
license

Bob, That's what we thought up here in NY state. We could drive our crane truck without a CDL up to 26,000 lbs. It turns out that the laws are sometime a little vague. I ended up calling the commercial truck division of the New York State Police. That's when I found out that from 18,000 to 26,000lbs. you need what is call a non CDL license class C. So what did we do? We registered the crane truck at 17,999. Bob, be sure to check into that license. I'm sure you will have to get it if your stuff is over 18,000lbs.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You guys have got my head spinning. I had no idea this kinda stuff was going on. This old fat boy had better stay on the south side of the Red River.

RPO587

Supporting Member 1
Looks like yet another perversion of the Interstate Commerce Clause. Seems there's no end to the ways both the Feds and state governments can think-up in order to hassle the public. They seem to forget who they're working for! Seems like all of my interests/hobbies are under assault in one way or another. This is just the latest. :cuss

Ronnie, if this stuff keeps up, Y'all will have a lot of d@mn yankees 'fixin' to head your way. This type of nonsense seems to be mostly a "northern" thing. :eek:

Just waiting for them to tell me I must wear a helmet when taking a shower. After all, it's for my own good! :roll
RPO

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Ugh!

Well you know the challenge I presented to Fred. Drive the car to the strip, uncap it, bolt on the slicks and go racing! May have to back off on the gearing a bit Fred. I'm all over the Hot Street scene. I have been pulling my car all over the country just like the rest of you. This is bad news indeed! :mad:

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
fatride said:
Well you know the challenge I presented to Fred. Drive the car to the strip, uncap it, bolt on the slicks and go racing! May have to back off on the gearing a bit Fred. I'm all over the Hot Street scene. I have been pulling my car all over the country just like the rest of you. This is bad news indeed! :mad:

Fred,this will bring back memorys for you,I'm sure you drove your race car to the track many times :D

I was going to trailer the 57 to Norwalk next year,but it looks like i'll have to drive the shoebox 600 miles :doh

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tow Bar??????????

I wonder how this would be with a good old tow bar. Might have to go back to that. Ronnie, have you ever used a tow bar? I'm sure most of us somewhat older guys have. Just unhook the drive shaft, and go down the road. Did this in 65 clear to California, and back. Just had to watch tight turns. Sometimes the rear car front wheels would go the wrong way. Jump out and straighten them, and go on your way!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fred

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Fred, I've seen these "tow dollys" gaining in popularity...Safer bet than the ol' tow bar. :)

Attachments

• towing-towdolly.jpeg
    towing-towdolly.jpeg
    5.6 KB · Views: 45

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Fred, I have used tow bars but not in many years. Last time , towed a 61 to the muffler shop. Thought , just to be safe I will ride in car and let wife drive truck. Never been that scared in my life. No more tow bars. Besides, Im too old to crawl under those old X frames to pull and reinstall driveshaft.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
dot crappola

:? I get it too. I have to be DOT qualified, physical, license, etc. and all I do is schedule trucks for oil changes, buy parts and sit at a desk. :?

America died. :help

:cuss

Tony Salins

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
tow bar

Fred,
Back when I raced my 62 I "flat towed"it every weekend to the track. I still have the tow brackets on the car. I've lost the homemade tow bar though. The tow brackets are pieces of plate bolted to the frame, they are also homemade. I also put a strap under the car, right above the rear drivrshaft, so when I unhooked the driveshaft I didn't have to take it out of the car, I just hung it out of the way.

You brought back memories when you talked about the steering going in the wrong direction. How about when you turned a corner a little too sharp and the wheels wouldn't come back to straight!! It always seemed to happen with traffic behind you. :doh Oh the good old days! :roll

I'm not sure that the tow dollies are safer than flat towing rear wheel drive cars. I've used them a couple of times and didn't have good results. :dunno

gearhead409

Well Known Member
does anybody remember towing hubs? i made a set for a guy years ago in exchange for a disk brake setup off a 68 firebird.

Tony Salins

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
towing hubs

gearhead409,
Yes I remember them but I never used them. Their sales pitch was you could hurt your rear end flat towing because of the heat build up. I never bought into that and I never hurt the rear end cause of flat towing.

Tony

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Tony, i've not used them either. the guy i made them for really liked them. he didn't tow his car with the slicks on. he used street tires so bolting the tow hubs on was easy.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Remember revenoors?

Thats all the DOT is. They produce revenue. Wait and see haw far this goes. How about all that extra fuel on board, I know there is a certain amount but have to check and find out. Might have to placard your trailer. How about that beer in your cooler, can't carry alcohol in a commercial vehicle. No weapons either so there goes the box opener and finger nail file. Got everything in that trailer secured with load locks?
Know why the DOT cops wear neckties? Keeps the foreskin for covering their head.
Ray

$%#&!, do I HATE the POlice :mad: ( and a DOT inspector is just a p** with a worse attitude ).

Log book ?
Not a bad idea at all. Really, it's kind of fun to document your trip.

Physical ?
Except for the cost, again, probably not a bad idea.

But the licensing costs for a commercial vehicle....
Can't do. Hundreds upon HUNDREDS of dollars.

My Hayes ( fully fueled, with about 500 pounds on the deck ) weighs just under 16,000 pounds. I have regular passenger plates on it, non-commercial use.
I suspect that THAT will change when I hook up a trailer.

Government and the POlice.... on a mission to line their pockets AGAIN :mad: :cuss

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Dond409 said:
Bob, That's what we thought up here in NY state. We could drive our crane truck without a CDL up to 26,000 lbs. It turns out that the laws are sometime a little vague. I ended up calling the commercial truck division of the New York State Police. That's when I found out that from 18,000 to 26,000lbs. you need what is call a non CDL license class C. So what did we do? We registered the crane truck at 17,999. Bob, be sure to check into that license. I'm sure you will have to get it if your stuff is over 18,000lbs.

Hey Don, the Gov. eliminated the Non-cdl - C class license last week.