Radio: Repair or New?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
One more thing on the rear speaker. In order to install the rear seat with the speaker and frame installed in the seat, you need two wire extension off this speaker (3/4 ft long) to allow you to install the seat and still hook up the speaker after the seat is installed.
Paul

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Paul. Looks like fun. Isn't it always??? Responded to your recent email this morning. Thank you, Carmine.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Tommy has the best idea as you can't beat the sound of solid lifters when refreshing the gas in the front carb. I have a new saying: if it ain't 2 fours and solid lifters I'm not interested. I'd leave it alone.
Robert

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is the 4 x 10 front speaker(the black one from Turn Switch in the first and 4th picture) and the original factory 4 x 10 mounts in all the pictures. The new speaker bolts in place of the speaker that is still bolted to the under dash bracket(2nd picture). The factory holder (it holds the speaker to the bottom of the dash) works on the original speaker and the new speaker without modification to the bracket ( pictures 3 and 4).
The 2nd and 3rd picture shows the original brackets and an original speaker still mounted to the rectangular bracket.
Paul
P1020917_tn.jpg P1020919_tn.jpg P1020921_tn.jpg P1020923_tn.jpg

Monk

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I had the radio in my '55 Chevy converted over to AM/FM with AUX outlet.
Has stock look but with internal upgrades.

Lets me listen to my iPod.............and I crank up the tunes every time I go out.
Works especially nice on the longer trips.

Here's the website of the guy who does my radio...........he's done several of my friends as well
Not all the expensive either to have it done

http://classiccaramradioupgrades.com/

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Monk for sharing that. I took a look at their website and I like what I saw. Unfortunately, I already sent my radio out this past Tuesday to an outfit who converted one previously for me and I liked their work. If I was to have another one converted, I would consider what you offered. Did put it in my favorites, Carmine.

Monk

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
You'll get good results from the vendor you're using
I've heard good things about them
Just thought I'd chime in and get the info out to the group

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Got my '62 radio back from Turnswitch.com about 10 days ago and finally got around to installing it. Put in a new front speaker and rear one, also purchased from them. Ran a new antenna cable from the rear to the radio. Of course I had to take apart some of the passenger side interior to do so. Looked for the build sheet under the rear seat. No such luck. Got everything hooked up and it plays very nice. The FM comes in real well and I listened to my ipod which was one of my objectives. It's nice to look at the original radio knowing it has a few more capabilities . Idid have a few questions for them before installing and I called them. We talked about 20 minutes or so and cleared up everything I had a question about. I know they are pricey but they do a nice job and you can't beat their tech/customer relations, Carmine.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Carmine, I met both of the shop owners years ago and found that they were old school auto electric repairmen in their former careers. They have been together in this business for at least 30 years. You are correct about the customer service being top notch.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just finished a one hour and 20 minute ride in the niner. Listen to my ipod, all during this time, in my reworked original radio. Made a good choice in sending it out. No regrets, Carmine.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well this kind of sucks, I sent off a picture of the radio in my '59 and it can't be upgraded. With only a power/volume knob and a tuner knob, I guess there aren't enough controls for the new internals. Time for a plan B on a radio upgrade.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well this kind of sucks, I sent off a picture of the radio in my '59 and it can't be upgraded. With only a power/volume knob and a tuner knob, I guess there aren't enough controls for the new internals. Time for a plan B on a radio upgrade.

That's unfortunate. I'm sure you would have really liked it if it could have been done. I didn't know '59 radios were kind of unique. I thought I saw them (turnswitch) advertise doing trifive radio's?? Thought they all had the same type of controls. I don't recall the name, but someplace in one of these threads, there is mention made of another business that does the same thing. Might be worth a call to them, Carmine.

Tri5man

Well Known Member
I wouldn't spend a dime on an original AM radio and wouldn't mess up my dash or wiring installing a repop radio. I use a JBL Flip ll bluetooth speaker ($100) and a smart phone or IPOD for tunes. Its totally wireless and plays thousands of songs of my choice. Can be used in my car, garage, beach or anywhere. When parked the speaker goes under the seat and the IPOD or phone goes in my pocket. Nothing crackheads can steal.

Gary

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That's unfortunate. I'm sure you would have really liked it if it could have been done. I didn't know '59 radios were kind of unique. I thought I saw them (turnswitch) advertise doing trifive radio's?? Thought they all had the same type of controls. I don't recall the name, but someplace in one of these threads, there is mention made of another business that does the same thing. Might be worth a call to them, Carmine.
I think the lack of buttons makes the conversion not doable.