Rat rod project

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
A couple of buddies (four of us to date) and I are slowly compiling parts for a low budget Rat Rod project. We frequent swap meets and trade parts a bit, and this is what we have come up with so far. We have about $5 cash invested to date, plus various trades. I donated a set of truck heads, they haven't found any interest as yet.

My recommendation is that we pop a truck build 409 in it, I blame that on Jim's detailed posts for those buildups :). I offered some parts, but as most of you know it costs a lot more to finish a 409 than just the parts. We have no budget (read: no money) so we all throw stuff in and "put it in the hat" so to speak, then someone buys the beer and we have a meeting and make silly decisions and plans. Everything is subject to change (except the beverages!). Right now we have a SBC in the engine bay, but I've got some spare 409 parts that would look right at home in the rather open engine compartment. Pics attached.

One contributing acquisition we had recently made was a set of bumpers James picked up for $5 that we put up on Ebay and they are doing quite well, should provide some $$$ for engine builds and more swap meet parts. The idea is to fabricate most everything, and do everything on the cheap. It's easy to build one of these with cash in hand, harder when you have to make do with stuff laying around and raw metal!

Enjoy the pics :)

TomK

Attachments

• Rat Rod group project 3.8.2008 003A.jpg
    Rat Rod group project 3.8.2008 003A.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Rat Rod group project 3.8.2008 004A.jpg
    Rat Rod group project 3.8.2008 004A.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 116
  • Rat Rod group project 409 engine.007A.jpg
    Rat Rod group project 409 engine.007A.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 108

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Make it a woodie roadster. Build it like a traditional woodie just leave it roofless.
I have the perfect Rat Rod wheels for you. they would look perfect with a vintage set of Pie crust slicks and have just the right amount of Patina (rust) to fit the bill. $25.00 for the pair + shipping the shipping hurts the budget part of it.

15 x 7 deep appearance chev 5 on 4-3/4 bolt pattern.
:cheers

Attachments

• Astro.jpg
    Astro.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Astro1.jpg
    Astro1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Astro2.jpg
    Astro2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Astro3.jpg
    Astro3.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 27

wc chevys

Well Known Member
Thats a pretty sweet" BUCKET "seat hopefully you "CAN "find another one when its close to finished.

sorry I could'nt help myself,snowed in and bored

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Not sure how far you are from Idaho BUT I do have a 30's spring front bumper, the kind with two bars and a single leaf spring behind it and some old 24 Chevy door parts with the wood still attached you can have for shipping :D
Least you could open the doors and bounce off stuff :roll

Send me your address and I'll see what shipping would be. I can use bus too if you have a bus station localy.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
What are you going to use for headers.....may I suggest the "funny looking upside down ones" from the basement:roll :roll
robert

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Thanks!

Thanks to all for the comments and support!

Tic, that might prove to be useful, gonna meet with some of the guys this afternoon for other reasons and will pass that offer along. Robert, you are right, I think those drag boat headers, while they look great down the basement and of course on the boat, but they look best on the Rat Rod. First suggestions were to put a SBC in it (that's what's under the tarp), but if we scrape enough dough together, a 409 might be nice. I can donate the parts, but the cost to build is high, as we all know :).

Cheers!
TomK

Eotnak

Supporting Member 1
There's nothing cooler to me than building something with a specific budget in mind. Anyone can throw money at something, but to be creative enough to make something awesome without going broke is sweet. See if you can figure out a way to make that $5 back and keep the budget at 0 !

oh, and I'm not talking about "Wow! XX Industries donated this sweet crate motor for my TV show build! Free parts!!"