Real 62 Impala SS

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Other than removing the grab bar to check if the holes are factory punched, what else can be checked or how can it be verified that it is a real SS?

fastcars

Well Known Member
Well, I am just about to walk out the door and buy an "all original" 62 SS Impala for 5k, but I need to know that it is an SS. The trim code is 812 and I cannot find where to decode it. I did look on this website but it didnt have that number listed. Is there somewhere else I can look to find what this trim number means? The ACC is --- 2 EZW SS --- Any help is appreciated, thanks. :help

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I found trim code #812 in 1958 has the only 812 :dunno

The original color of your interior is: Green. Material type is: Cloth & Vinyl

bobs409

Administrator
My books aren't showing an "812" for 1962. The numbers for 1958 won't help for your '62.

Here's an exerpt from our FAQ page on what to look for on an SS:

1962-Supersport option RPO 240 cost $156.05 and included; bucket seats, front seat console with flip top lid with drink holders for the rear passengers, front passenger assist bar, special wheel covers, side molding inserts, Supersport emblems and a special plate on the console when 4 speed was ordered.

Unlike 1961, any engine could be had in the Supersports of '62, The base engine was either the 170hp 283 or the 135hp Hi thrift six cylinder. From there you could move up to optional engine RPO 300 which was the 250hp 327 for $137.75 (used a WCFB), RPO 397 300hp 327 (used a carter 4bbl), the RPO 580 380hp 409 for $320.65 or RPO 587 409hp 409 for $321.21 (2.20 inch intake valves and larger ports)

All 4 speed 327's and both 409's came with a tachometer mandatory. You could however order the tach seperately for any car for $48.45 (RPO 331)

Check the interior trim codes to help confirm an SS car as the Supersports had their own unique codes due to the buckets and all vinyl interior. (see the interior trim code charts on this site)

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Could the number be 821?? I do that when my bifocals are still in my shirt pocket :)
Ron

bobs409

Administrator
Seeing is believing so it must just be a number we don't have. :?

Looking at Chevrolet by the numbers, they only list fawn or black interior available with that 948 Honduras Maroon paint for the 1700 & 1800 series. (not sure if you could special order something else or not)

This is interesting though...

M

Mr.Jimmy

Did you do the dumb dumb tail of the fuel line and such? Also for the exhaust brackets too? What did the floor pans look like for factory brackets welded to the pans????

fastcars

Well Known Member
Thanks for the help guys. I was relyinig on your answers to buy the car. I'm going to go tomorrow instead since its raining here and kinda late. Thanks.

Super(sport)Man

Well Known Member
fastcars said:
Thanks for the help guys. I was relyinig on your answers to buy the car. I'm going to go tomorrow instead since its raining here and kinda late. Thanks.

News is calling for rain tomorrow too..... :doh

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Good luck! :cheers By the way I looked it up in the book I've got here too and came up with the same answer as Gearhead. :deal

bobs409

Administrator
Well c'mon guys, lets have the name of those books! :D I'd like to add this number to our collection as long as it's legit.

So you guys say 812 is for black bucket seat interior then?

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Bob

i've not seen it in print but i have two black interior ss 62s unrestored originals. one hard top built in st.louis the 5th week of june with code #812 and one conv. built in flint the 3rd week of march with code #815. that's good enough for me.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Books

Hey Bob

Colvin's books are great reference but expensive. :doh
Just buy one at a time and it isn't so bad.

I also us Cars&Parts Magazine...Catalog of American Car ID Numbers.
These books cover 1950 to 1979.......all makes and models.

Sometimes one book will miss a small item but the other will pick it up. :takethat
I couldn't find 812 in the Catalog book but as Jim said it's in Colvin's. :D

Also the Cars&Parts have a great Chevy engine casting numbers book.

bj :cheers

ps - hey gearhead.......are you signed up for Columbus yet......hoping to take the 61 (348 4 speed) if it's ready..........and maybe the 63 (409) next year :cool:

bobs409

Administrator
I have 4 of Colvins books. 55-59, 60-64, 65-69 and 70-75 but I couldn't find the trim codes when I looked. Must be there somewhere...

I got a good deal when I got mine by buying all 4 at once. (ebay) Paid $80 plus shipping. I think they usually sell for about $30 each?