Rear control arm bushing help needed!!!

Brandon 348/320

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I need help replacing my bushings on my rear control arms. I actually ruined one rear lower control arm this evening after having it beautifully painted and ready for the new bushing. It went in crooked and actually broke the raised lip at the hole. Got one side in fine and ruined the other side. It pissed me off so bad I just slung it on the floor.I made a tool out of schedule 4o pvc pipe to keep it from crushing down when I try to press in a bushing but it tool wants to pop out. Tried doing this so it wouldn't scratch my new paint but is not working. What do you guys do. Does anyone have the Kent Moore J-7574 tool kit to do this or what am I doing wrong. I've seen a thread with tools guys have made but can't find it when you need it. After ruining one of the lower rear control arms I will be needing another. Does anyone have one lying around they could part with.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think I have a control arm. What I like to do is take a piece of exhaust tubing and cut about 1/3 section out so it spring snaps over the area the bushing is being pressed into and I always file and sand the edges. Works real well and never had it mar the paint or powder. just did the ones for my 60 Pontiac and they all turned out perfect.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
:yup I also weld in the piece of exhaust pipe before removing the old bushing. A permanent reinforcement.

Brandon 348/320

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Great idea on the exhaust tubing. So the tubing kind of snaps around the bushing so it can't get off line. Then when it's in just snap it back off?

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Great idea on the exhaust tubing. So the tubing kind of snaps around the bushing so it can't get off line. Then when it's in just snap it back off?
Yep, I use it for both pressing the old bushings out and the new bushings in, works well.

Brandon 348/320

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
If you have an extra rear lower control arm let me know what you would take for it. I have a parts car but hate to go to the hassle of pulling the old one off. It's sitting under a shed that I'm sure snakes love to hang out at. Just send me a pm.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If you have an extra rear lower control arm let me know what you would take for it. I have a parts car but hate to go to the hassle of pulling the old one off. It's sitting under a shed that I'm sure snakes love to hang out at. Just send me a pm.
PM sent

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I tried removing the bushings on my rear control arms myself. I have a 20 ton press and got the first one out with no problem. Tried the second one and no way was it coming out. I even heated it with the torches which made it worse; the housing around the bushing started to become distorted. So, I quit and took everything to the mechanic; control arms and new bushings. Picked everything up the following day. I forget what the cost was, but I was very happy with everything, Carmine.

Brandon 348/320

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Yes saw those on ebay also. I thought the same thing. If you put those under your car my rear end would fall out.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I always used a muffler zip gun with flat blade to remove , with enough experience it would not damage arm's. Another way to remove bushing is to drill rubber out with a drill bit and go all the way around and finally remove inner sleeve. Then you can smash down and cut with die grinder to get outer sleeve out. When assembling ,do not paint inside area were the bushing slide's in as it make's it to tight. Take a round file and make sure there are no bur's in cavity's. When pressing in or you can use a hammer , always support bottom and middle of control arm. I use large impact socket's for support on the back side just enough to clear bushing as it is driven in. I usually wedge smaller socket's upright in between the flat's in the middle,or you can use anything else just so it is supported. I use a large socket {or anything that fit's} as a bushing driver so the rubber fit's tight in the socket and contact's most of the metal outside .I always use a little grease on bushing and arm to assemble. I paint arm's after bushing 's are installed, just tape off bushing's ,ect. Hope's this get's you going .

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Take them to the smallest, older mom and pop garage you can find in your area. The one here charged me $10 to press in the new bushings for me. I used an air chisel to get the original ones out. Soak them in PB Blast the night before. Usually pop right out.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
I was lucky enough to find a couple of the old tools on ebay before I did mine. As stated above put them in the freezer over night and a little grease on them before you put them back in as well as making sure there are no burrs or dings in the holes from removal. I took a dremel with a sanding roll and hit each hole to make sure there were no nicks.

Attachments

• photo(19).JPG
    photo(19).JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 20