Rear drums for the 62 wagon

sam 15

Hello everyone....I need some help with the correct rear drums and shoes for my 62 bel air wagon. I ordered a set from NAPA but they were the wrong parts. The NAPA part #'s are TS-228 for the shoes and 640-1060 for the drums. The drums were a little too small when compared to the ones on the wagon and the shoes were too short compared to the shoes on the wagon. The shoe part # on the wagon is FM8 (8 could be an S)-191. The drums are stamped 3752623. The NAPA parts guy could not match up the # I gave him. The fronts were converted to disc by the previous owner. I would assume....yeah, yeah I know...the rear drums would be stock. The NAPA parts guy said there is only one drum # listed for 58-70 chevy...It doesn't fit mine. I searched the internet and the search on this site and couldn't come up with anything. Thanks for any input.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Brakes with metallic linings had different drums, but your casting number 3752623 doesn't show up in my Parts Catalogs but 3752622 does as the correct part number for the standard brake rear drum. Most likely 3752622 is the finished part number for the 3752623 casting. there were several brake changes from 58-62 and on some years the front and rear were not interchangeable.:dunno

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If you take in the drum & a set of shoes the parts guy can find them by measurements.

Dave

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Looking at napaonline,com, it looks like the parts numbers probably are correct. Are your originals 11 x 2?
They show 2 different shoes, a quality difference but both are 11 x 2, and 2 different drums, the difference is not shown other than price.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
If you take in the drum & a set of shoes the parts guy can find them by measurements.

Dave

Dave: I have a working knowledge of some auto parts stores. I'd amend that statement to "the old timers can find them":roll
robert

sam 15

Brakes with metallic linings had different drums, but your casting number 3752623 doesn't show up in my Parts Catalogs but 3752622 does as the correct part number for the standard brake rear drum. Most likely 3752622 is the finished part number for the 3752623 casting. there were several brake changes from 58-62 and on some years the front and rear were not interchangeable.:dunno

The parts guy found the 3752622 but said, after a little more looking, that it was for the front drum, said it was 3/4 inch bigger than the 23#. Half the problem, the parts stores in my area don't stock drums....and it seems any other parts I need :bang so they cant match them up unless they order them in.

Looking at napaonline,com, it looks like the parts numbers probably are correct. Are your originals 11 x 2?
They show 2 different shoes, a quality difference but both are 11 x 2, and 2 different drums, the difference is not shown other than price.

On this they told me one was economy drum the other was premium...when I asked them what the difference was...I was told "they are machined better" :scratch I said "if you dont't know, don't make something up" they said "That's what they told us to say" :crazy

Dave: I have a working knowledge of some auto parts stores. I'd amend that statement to "the old timers can find them":roll
robert

A little ways back I was looking for a timing light. I must have went into half a dozon parts stores...all the youngsters said " a what?"....I explained what a timing light is for and got the confused look....most sent me to the bulb rack....it took me a second to figure out why they didn't know what a timing light was.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
"the old timers can find them"

Yes Robert you're right..... or have been taught by an old timer...... and they have to have the parts books. I don't think the info is in the computer.

Dave

sam 15

Check out www.Rockauto.com. They have both 11 x 2 and 11 x 2.75 brake shoes. they also have Brake Drums in 12.37 and 12.52 outside diameters.

Thanks for the link....I pulled up the drums and looking at the pics of the drums, the drums that are listed for the front look like what I have on the rear.....now I'm wondering if the previous owner put the front brakes, backing plate and all, on the rear when the front disc conversion was done....is this even possible to make that work...I'm also thinking rear disc conversion might be the way to go...I take it the conversion is pretty much ditching the drum/shoe, pulling the axle shafts and backing plates and installing the disc set up. I'm guessing that the proportioning valve now is a disc/drum valve. Any problems switching out to a disc/disc valve?

hogmotors

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
59-64 Front & rear brakes are the same. 11x2.0 rear & 11x 2.75(or 2.5 whatever) on the front.
The only difference in the Metallic drums is the 20micron/ince finish(highlypolished)...personal experience-I ran metallics until they were not available.
As I recall, the 58's were same size as 55-57 except a harder shoe.