Rear end fit questions

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Although they aren't as easy find as they used to be the Lincoln Versailles rear is the perfect width and already has rear disc brakes. Easy to weld the brackets on and pretty inexpensive. The low rider guys use them to run wider wheels and gaining clearance with the big cruiser skirts in place.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
That article is wrong in a lot of ways. 68 Nova 12 bolt is NOT a bolt in. It's a leaf spring rear? The 64-72 A body rear is the right width but the lower arms are not at the correct angle and the stock lowers won't just bolt on. Stock uppers also won't fit. The 64-72 rear is triangulated both upper and lower.

It is most likely like my old 80 Malibu wagon when I tossed in a 12 bolt. The lower bolts would go in one side easy but you had to force the bolt through the other side, remedy for this you say?, well it's lie this. We die ground the hole that was out of alignment so the bold would slip in easy, then we got some hardened thick washers and welded them to the housing, problem solved. The uppers went in fine but the pinion angle was wrong (up too high) so we lived with it but now there are adjustable upper control arms. I suspect the 58-64 would be the same way except I would get new uppers and use a 64-67 Chevelle housing and add the panhard bar.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
That article is wrong in a lot of ways. 68 Nova 12 bolt is NOT a bolt in. It's a leaf spring rear? The 64-72 A body rear is the right width but the lower arms are not at the correct angle and the stock lowers won't just bolt on. Stock uppers also won't fit. The 64-72 rear is triangulated both upper and lower.

Exactly. Olds/pontiac + a lot of patience, or 9" + a lot of money. The cast center on a 12bolt really screws ya over for upper control arms.

That old super chevy article is cool as hell! But, was written before you could buy a bolt in 9" housing for a 59-64. Oh and uh, 68-74 Nova couldn't be further from a 'bolt in':doh:doh:rolleyes