Rear end rebuild - torque specs?

threepedals

Supporting Member 1
I'm rebuilding a '61 posi rear end with new gears & bearings, and can't find torque specs anywhere. I'm looking for torque specs for the following:

-- ring gear bolts
-- carrier case bolts (the 8 reverse thread bolts holding the 2 carrier halves together)
-- carrier bearing cap bolts
-- pumpkin to axle housing bolts

For preload on the pinion, does 20 lb/in sound right for new bearings? What about preload on the pinion after the carrier is installed?

Thanks!
Josh
'61 bubbletop

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
This is from the 1958 shop manual.

Ring gear bolts-40-60 ft.lbs.
Carrier case halfs-35-45 ft. lbs.
bearing cap bolts-70-75 ft. lbs.
Differential carrier assembly to axle housing-35-45 ft.lbs.
Preload-15-25 lbs/in.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Preload is

that preload is after you have curshed the sleeve for the pinion shaft. It's how much effort it takes to turn the pinion in inch pounds after the sleeve is crushed. I don't remember the number but I'm sure it's up around 75 ft lb. to crush the sleeve.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
that preload is after you have curshed the sleeve for the pinion shaft. It's how much effort it takes to turn the pinion in inch pounds after the sleeve is crushed. I don't remember the number but I'm sure it's up around 75 ft lb. to crush the sleeve.

Shop manual say's up to 350 ft. lbs. :eek:

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Models

Ray is right. it will take a 4ft. breaker bar and another 4ft. holding bar for the companion flange to crush the sleeve. most bigger axles will take alot more to crush the sleeve. i use a nut with the self locking part cut off and alot of anti-seeze to cruch the sleeve and sneek=up on the preload. then back the nut off, clean the pinion threads up, fill the pinion/flange splines up with rtv,use a new nut with lock-tite and set the pre-load again. now you are ready to set the ring gear and that new posi in place.

jr.W

Well Known Member
I know when it did my crush sleeve my 1/2" impact just barely did it.
I think next time I will use a pinion bearing spacer not the crush sleeve.

threepedals

Supporting Member 1
I've rebuilt late model 10 bolts many times, and yes it takes a 4' breaker bar to torque the pinion nut with enough force to crush the sleeve, and a 4' tool to hold the pinion. I made a pinion holder out of some 3/16" flat steel I had, just drilled 2 holes that line up with the yoke and attached with grade 8 bolts.

As you approach the pre-load limit, 1/8 of a turn on the nut goes a long way - it can easily add 10 in/lb! So go slow if you're doing this for the first time.

I'm still in the middle of my rear end rebuild, been working on some other stuff in the meantime. Will post pics once I finish the rear rebuild.

Josh