Rear seal. Fel pro p2904

Maxhawkins28

Well Known Member
I just had a question I was given a p2904 rear seal in my fel pro rebuild kit... will this work with my 1958 348 ? Im replacing the rear main since I forgot to put the rubber wings in does not give you clear advice in either one of my shop manuals for the vehicle so after researching I found where they go! Thankfully .

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Maybe,the early 58's used a rope seal and as far as I know no rubber replacement is made for it.Sometime around the middle of the year when the casting number was changed to 5011,the rubber seal was used and carried on until the W engine production stopped.If your engine uses a rope seal and is fresh just install the "wings" that you left out and reassemble the engine.

Maxhawkins28

Well Known Member
I have a rubber seal in there now don't know what number it is for that seal. I have rope seals as well that are brand new. I know my block is a later number 3781872 but I have the early heads and don't have the holes in the block for the spark plug water ways. I think when we took it apart the first time it had a rubber seal as well... Don't have any photos of it prior. Well maybe all I will need is the wings that would be great! I will have to take a look when I get to that point.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
As new as that rubber seal is just dab a little silcon sealer on the ends,INSTALL THE BLASTED SEALS,and reassemble.The leak was from the missing parts install them and you'll be fine.