Rearend

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
What gear do you have in there now and what are you wanting to change to? If you have 3.08's and you want to go to 3.73 you'll be good.You'll have to go a different carrier if you want to go to a 4.11 or 4..56.There in some cases thicker gears to make up the difference but they're getting hard to find.There are also spacer rings made for this but don't get them near any drag strip,especially with a stick car.

62BillT

Well Known Member
I'm still not sure how he did it, but I had 4.11 aftermarket gears professionally installed in a 3.08 Posi rear. That rear was bullet proof. Had about 100 high rev burnouts on it and probably at least 500 power shifts (foot to the floor and stays there) with my M-21 Muncie.

I questioned him on the exact same info above, but he reassured me that it would be no problem, and he was right, lol.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm still not sure how he did it, but I had 4.11 aftermarket gears professionally installed in a 3.08 Posi rear. That rear was bullet proof. Had about 100 high rev burnouts on it and probably at least 500 power shifts (foot to the floor and stays there) with my M-21 Muncie.

I questioned him on the exact same info above, but he reassured me that it would be no problem, and he was right, lol.
He most likely used the aftermarket "thick" ring ear that was made for just such a swap.Those are getting hard to find.Once rolling the ?"power shift" isn't what breaks these rear ends.Sticky tires,high rpm stick shift,high torque automatics especially with a good converter and they go bang.

62BillT

Well Known Member
He most likely used the aftermarket "thick" ring ear that was made for just such a swap.Those are getting hard to find.

The only other thing I can remember is that they were Shaffer Gears. Not even sure if they still make them today.

Once rolling the ?"power shift" isn't what breaks these rear ends.

Except with non-posi's in my '62, lol.

It was a 283 3-Speed at the time and I went though 6 Rears. Can't remember every one, but I know at least a few broke banging 2nd Gear. Also went through 6 Transmissions and 3 Driveshafts, lol. All in less than 2 years.

In my '56 Nomad, with a 327, 4-Speed and the 4.11 Posi as described above, I never broke a thing in all of 10 years.

Silversport 63

Well Known Member
I think I have 308 or 336 not sure I had a nitro gear posi unit retrofit in my none posi case and it's got a small leak coming out the pinion seal so if I'm taking it out I may as well change the gears right thanks for the replays guys there's a bunch off good guys on this site

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
It can be done without removing the center section. It is tricky to do and not overtighten the pinion nut.
Sometimes it's better to remove the center section and get a new crush sleeve so you can set the pinion bearing preload.