Recommendation For 1962 Impala Front Lower Control Arm Bushing

CORVAIRWILD

Well Known Member
I just brought 2 of my clone 409 cars home, they were stuck in Canada on quarantine lol. Anyways, my '62 Impala needs a front lower control arm bushing. What do you recommend? I usually shop at rockauto, they have MOOG, Delphi, AC Delco. I know everything is made in crazy far away places, and some of their rubber lasts a year, whereas the originals lasted 50 years. I will need the bolt and washer too

CORVAIRWILD

Well Known Member
I just took these tonite

Attachments

• IMG-20211002-WA0083.jpeg
    IMG-20211002-WA0083.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20211004-005721_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211004-005721_Facebook.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20211004-005707_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211004-005707_Facebook.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20211004-005641_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211004-005641_Facebook.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 39

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is a lower control arm bushing from Cars Inc. I don't buy from parts places -they seem to have the wrong parts -Cars has the right parts and quality after 10 frame off restorations for me
https://carsinc.com/1959-1964-lower-control-arm-bushings-10904.html

I have an original fine thread bolt and washer. The only way you can get the washer and bolt is to buy a entire set of new ones as I recall.
I might have a new GM lower control arm bushing left over from my restorations.
Paul

CORVAIRWILD

Well Known Member
Can I install new bushings without removing the control arm? I really don't feel like dealing with the coil spring. I was thinking, I'll leave the ball joint attached, undo the pivot, drop the arm keeping my floor jack under the spring, and use a giant C clamp (rented from FLAP) to press in the new bushings

CORVAIRWILD

Well Known Member
Here's my trim tag, and the tag from my '62 Belair. Funny they both came with tinted glass, I think EZW indicates that

Attachments

• 16333674541736546649753139301661.jpg
    16333674541736546649753139301661.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 16333676812608964837896307582498.jpg
    16333676812608964837896307582498.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 35

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The Belair from the Van Nuys California (Los Angeles - L in serial number tag)
the hardtop from the Baltimore plant - B in the serial number tag
Yes the EZI is for factory tinted glass -glass marked with E-Z-Eye stamped on the glass

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The BA (Baltimore) tag has a very very early build date - 8E = August(8) 5th week(E) of 1961
The Van Nuys tag for the 1847 Hardtop has a 6A = June first week of 1962

CORVAIRWILD

Well Known Member
Interestingly, I bot the Belair in Simi Valley, I'm 3rd owner, and the Impala I believe came from Baltimore I seem to recall

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Here's my trim tag, and the tag from my '62 Belair. Funny they both came with tinted glass, I think EZW indicates that
Thanks for posting the cowl tag photos, the 2-door Belair sedan is a very early built car (the 111th Belair 2-door sedan built at Van Nuys in 62 model year) and has a date code 6 which means it was started in the 5th week of August but wasn't finished until September 6th. The EZW code on a Van Nuys car is for tinted windshield only, so the rest of the glass should be clear.

The Baltimore Impala sport coupe has a very interesting reproduction cowl tag. It has the trim code for a black convertible bench seat and the code EZW was not used on Baltimore cars for tinted windshield. I always wondered if this tag was ever fitted on a car or whether it was just an example tag from the company that made it. I saw this tag brand new in 2012 when the company Tagmyclassic.com used it as an example of a 62 tag. Apart from the wrong date font, a body number way too low for an Impala sport coupe built in June 62, the trim code for a convertible interior and the wrong ACC code for tinted glass in a Baltimore car, it was a great example of the reproduction tags being produced at the time and made it very easy to spot similar reproduction tags on other cars (usually fake SS). Here's a photo of this exact tag from the tagmyclassic website in 2012. I presume they used it as an example after they received an order for it by the owner at the time.

2788 repop tag from tagmyclassic.com.jpg

Last edited:

CORVAIRWILD

Well Known Member
That is so interesting about my trim tag. I thought it looked too perfect, with no paint-masking tape line. That explains that lol

The fellow who put this car together is on this website, I actually saw this car mentioned here, 5 years before I bought it. I'm in touch with him, I wonder if he knows? It makes me wonder if the VIN is correct to this car?

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
That is so interesting about my trim tag. I thought it looked too perfect, with no paint-masking tape line. That explains that lol

The fellow who put this car together is on this website, I actually saw this car mentioned here, 5 years before I bought it. I'm in touch with him, I wonder if he knows? It makes me wonder if the VIN is correct to this car?

The cowl tag for your car could have been put on many years before I happened to see a photo of the actual reproduction tag on the website, so I'd be interested to hear the history and especially why the reproduction tag is still for a twilight blue Impala when the paint code for roman red could have been ordered for the reproduction cowl tag to reflect the color change. FYI, all cowl tags in 62, with the exception of Tarrytown were painted the body color of the firewall. Tarrytown was the only Fisher plant in 62 to put a piece of tape over the cowl tag during painting and remove it after the body was painted. If you post a photo of the VIN, I'll decode that for you to determine if it's the original VIN for your Impala. Send me a private message if you prefer.

Reactions: 327

Well Known Member
CAR WAS ORIGINAL 283 AUTOMATIC, POWER STEERING AND POWER BRAKES. ALTHOUGH I LIKED THE LAUREL GREEN , I PAINTED IT A 1981 PONTIAC DARK JADESTONE METALIC. AND CLONED IT TO A SS. INTERIOR IS STILL THE ORIGINAL GREEN COLOR, WITH A 1964 327 WITH M20 MUNCIE 4 SPEED. I HAVE OWNED THIS CAR SINCE 1978. IT WAS MY FIRST CAR. I WILL SEND MORE PICTURES SOON.COPY.jpg

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Can I install new bushings without removing the control arm? I really don't feel like dealing with the coil spring. I was thinking, I'll leave the ball joint attached, undo the pivot, drop the arm keeping my floor jack under the spring, and use a giant C clamp (rented from FLAP) to press in the new bushings
:yikes :hide