Recommendations for adjustable shocks and other components

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
What are some good options for adjustable rear shocks and or front shocks as well?

These are for the BA 409 project we are thrashing on.

Also need recommendations for a line lock (Hurst?) and a spool setup.

Am looking at 28 x 8 x 15 slicks and noted some Hursts were available in that size, but they were "recaps". Are these OK? Full slick or cheater groove?

Thanks in advance!

TomK

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Tom, C/E shocks,90/10 frt.,50/50 rear,Air Lift air bag in rt,rear spring.Line lock unnecessary,but the Hurst or Biando units are good.Forget the Hurst slicks,either M/T or HOOSIER are MUCH better options,and cheaper.Why spend the extra money on grooved slicks? The full slick will work fine.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm with Don on the slicks. I think the Hurst pie crust recaps are more for looks than real traction.
M/T or Hoosier are very popular.

I've got a cheap Summit line lock in the 55 Chevy and it's been working fine for years.

I don't know about the spool. Is it a stock rear end?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Hurst is out of business for now. Retro look? Towel City makes a great recap radial pie crust slick tire.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Models, thanks for the tip :).

I checked this site: http://www.towelcityracingtires.com/Pie_Crust_Cheater_Slicks.html

and they were the only source that I've found so far that have a 28 inch tire with an 8 inch width on 15 inch wheels. These are actually 28.5 inches. And they are the old school "pie crust" designs. The problem I seem to have is that most are wider than 8 inches, and I don't have more room given the wheels we are planning on using. And they are only $160 per tire.

That's the closest I've found so far to what I need. Need to make a decision soon as it's getting close to the wire :).

Cheers!
TomK

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
Tom,

I live less than 10 minutes from Towel City. If you want, I could swing by there sometime today and throw a tape measure on one of their slicks and see what the actual width is.

Jeremy

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Jeremy:
Thanks for the offer. I have to admit, those pie crust caps look cool :).
James recommends that we stay away from capped slicks, and just today we decided to take the risk and go for a 9" width. Lot more options at 28 x 9 x 15.
I'm relooking over my notes and hope to make the call/order in the next day. Looking at M/T, Hoosier, etal in that 9 inch design. Hope it fits the wheel well :).
Cheers!
TomK