Recommendations for paint products?Thanks!

Bob Core

Well Known Member
I'm restarting a long-stalled project, a 2nd gen Nova. There is still a little sheet metal repair to do on the front fenders, after which I'll need to strip everything that isn't new quart panels and start from bare metal. Everything that's been refinished was done with Ditzler DP line epoxy and DAR9000 enamel. That kinds of dates the project, I suspect.

What do you use nowadays, for basic metal prep, primer and color coats? I want to sound sort of like I know what I'm talking about when I walk into the auto body supply shop...

Thanks!

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
:yup

I prefer PPG stuff. Omni is the cheap s--t, Shop Line is a step up from that, Deltron is top of the line. Never used Omni, but I have used Shop Line on one of my 63's, it came out nice. I used DCC Concept on my 55, and I absolutely love that paint. I screwed it up in a few places spraying it and it all sanded/buffed out really well. Super durable, forgiving single stage paint. Only used Deltron primers, but I'd imagine the top coat products lay down really well. For a bare metal to finish project, I'd recommend:

-Global Chromatic hi-build primer
-deltron sealer
-DCC Concept or Deltron (single or base/clear)

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Oh btw for bare metal jobs, I recently read PPG no longer recommends spraying an epoxy primer over self etching acid primer. Can lead to extended curing time, blistering, and even adhesion failure, to quote their bulletin. I've done exactly that several times...
.:oops

Instead just lay the epoxy right on the bare metal I guess, that's what they're sayin anyway.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
On my last project I used Tamco products for the epoxy and K2 primer then PPG for my base and Tamco clear coat. http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/1960-pontiac-ventura.28625/ Both products outperformed DP and K38 by a long shot. The epoxy is absolutely by leaps and bounds superior... Tamco was the biggest PPG distributor on the west coast for years then decided to manufacture their own products.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
We've been using Omni and Shop Line primers and paints for years now. Epoxy primer on all bare metal and to seal over all properly prepped previous painted surfaces. Never use epoxy primer over self etching primer, I found that out the hard way years ago. Lucky it was only a small area that I had to repaint. The epoxy primer did not stick to the self etch and it took months after I painted the car for the top coat and epoxy primer to lift. We've also been using polyester primer on top of the epoxy primer for filling sanding scratches in any bodywork and to get a nice smooth surface. I know there are other high build primers, but we're happy with the results we get. I usually spray single stage paint but the last car I painted I tried base coat / clear coat. The car came out nice, but it does take some getting used too spraying clear coat as you can't see the clear as well as color as your laying it down, making runs and light areas more likely. Just my two cents.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I've Always used Dupont Paints, in the past. But when Our State, decided to put a Whammy on Lead, I switched over to Global, for my Acrylic Lacquer.:clapDupont became TOO expensive.:confused It's about due for a repaint. :dohMay need to try something different, this time.:dunno

Bob Core

Well Known Member
Thanks, this is all very helpful. I'll have to see which suppliers work well with guys who do this as a hobby.

Clint

Well Known Member
Nason clear coat is decent. It is a Dupont product. I have used the nason Base coats many times and sprayed Dupont clear over them they will save you a bunch of money but will take an extra coat or two depending on the color.

Clint

Well Known Member
Probably more than a few!! What a shame joyland is gone. As far as the lounge I couldn't say!

Clint

Well Known Member
It was better than The Pirate's Cave on north Broadway. They had 350 pound go-go girls!!!!!!!!!:fear:eek3:drop:yikes:yikes
But...I digress............

There is a lot to be said for quality!!! There are a couple of dandies up in your part of the state, Sasnaks in Topeka and the out house in Lawrence come to mind!!! But I wouldn't be able to recall under oath:dunno:roll:brow

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
There was a place south of Topeka on 75 Highway called 4 Corners!!!!!! Lady ? named Mae ran it.
Long gone now. All my experiences were from 1965 and earlier.

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
There was a place south of Topeka on 75 Highway called 4 Corners!!!!!! Lady ? named Mae ran it.
Long gone now. All my experiences were from 1965 and earlier.

Is that the place where they would check you for a gun, and if you didn't have one they would give you one ???? :D

Cayneman

Well Known Member
Reminds me of Roy Heads Branding Iron Saloon in Porter, Texas. I asked my secretary Shiela if she ever went to Roy Heads Saloon she replied "I'm a country girl but Roy Heads is just a little too country for me".