RED tail light bulbs!

bobs409

Administrator
I'm just about fit to be tied here. :mad:

I am in the process of making custom tail lights for my truck and I'm trying to find four red 1157 bulbs. You would think that they should be somewhat easy to find considering all the ricers out there with clear lenses/red bulbs or even the fact that some vehciles come from the factory with clear lenses/red bulbs. I know I saw a Lexus SUV with these (although they wouldn't be 1157's) and I also know that old cars like the 1964 Cadillac had the clear lower lenses with red bulbs. I just stopped at the 8th store and for the most part, I only get a puzzled look from the counter person. Most say they have never heard of red bulbs. Now if I want blue, I can get just about any concievable size or shape but forget red! :mad: What the hell am I gonna do with a blue bulb? :takethat

Here are the places I went to: (you'll notice 1 store actually have them but...)

Autozone-guy said they don't carry them and he's never seen them ???
Advance auto-they don't carry them but I could get super bright, get pulled over red bulbs that cost $10 for 2! (I need 4 remember!)
Walmart-The blue bulb factory! Every size, shape and watt you could ever want, that is if you wanted a blue bulb!
Sears-Their auto section is a joke just like the rest of their store. Pfft!
Kmart-Wow, looks like they are phasing out auto parts there. Another joke.
A&A-Here's where it gets interesting...I actually found 1 pack there but they wanted $5.79 for 2 dang bulbs! If I get no other ideas, I guess I'll be going back there to pay through the wazzoo plus I get to order the other pack and wait. Yippie!
Napa-Never had 'em, and doesn't look like they plan on it anytime soon.
Western Auto-Never heard of them. Don't have 'em, not interested in getting them.

I even just checked the J.C. Whitney catalog. You would think that tacky, add on anything that fits outfit would have 'em but NO.

By the way, my search also inlcudes the newer type bulbs that push in. I would be willing to go with them but can't find them either.

Why did I just type all this? Just to rant mostly but to ask if anyone has seen these anywhere? What do the old Caddy people do? There were other old cars that had clear lenses too. I'm pretty sure there was an old Lincoln that did. (the one with the back window that tilted inward at the bottom)

Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas?

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Paint em. I have seen bulbs painted to match custom colors. They are still very bright and you can make them any color you want.

mpris

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob, I just tried to find the bulbs on the Internet and the best price I could find was $3.95 each. Looks like the $5.95 is the best price available. Buy some extras.

impalaragpat

Well Known Member
bob,
I found some orange bulbs at Big lots couple months ago. Try there . I ll check at my store again .
Pat

bobs409

Administrator
Going with MRHP's idea, I looked through my supply of paints. I found a paint that goes on sort of opaque. It's Dupli colors Metal cast annodizing paint and is available in a few colors. I had no luck with it for it's intended purpose so with nothing to lose, I tested it with the can of blue that I have. After first spraying it, it looks cloudy and you cannot see through it, but... I decided to dry it with heat by lighting that sucker. :D As soon as the glass got hot, the paint started turning very opaque. I got to watch it happen as it started with the tip and slowly worked it's way down. Real cool! The thing looks just like store bought now!

I gave it a 15 minute "lights on" test to see how durable it is. The paint didn't burn off but a portion did get a bit darker. That's not a problem though as it didn't affect the look when lit.

Naturally, I rushed to my local Walmart and bought a can of red for tonights test. :)

60convert

Well Known Member
hey bob

one that my dad tought me on a broken lens use red battery sealer on the bulb it always worked for me.
Jesse

bobs409

Administrator
I gave it the night test and it's looking great! The bulbs look just like something you would buy from a store. (if anyone actually stocked red bulbs) :D

For a more intense red effect, I chose to shade the clear lense with the red paint too. (looks better when unlit too) It's see through and really looks nice. I will post pics but think I'll wait until they are actually installed in my truck which will happen in the next few weeks. What they are is an idea I've had for a few years. Chevrolet Bowtie shaped tail lights. These are 7 inches in width at the longest points and are "frenched in" 1 inch. When installed, the lense will sit 1 inch deeper than the fender surface. Both contain 2 bulbs each and are nice and bright. All made from 16 gauge metal for durability. (don't want to have to remake these anytime soon!)

I'm fairly certain these have been done and can almost remember seeing something like this on a hot rod but mine are recessed into the metal so should be unique.

To make the fabricating process easier, I made these into an 8 X 10.5 inch sheet of metal. I will then cut out and weld this into the fender. (also done this way due to the current lights which are 1965 Impala's-gotta fix those 4 big holes anyway so I'll replace the whole area)

While I liked the 1965 Impala lights and have gotten many compliments on them, it would have cost me about $100 to replace them as they are falling apart! The back are rotted and the sockets are falling out, all the chrome is "yuckie." :D Plus, those weren't my idea and were on the truck when I bought it. With the new ones, I can take the credit. :brow

More later...

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
glad it worked\\

:) Glad to hear it worked for you. I have also used this idea for interior lighting as well. I would like to see pictures of the lights.

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
red bulbs

use a red magic marker it works great, also u can use a blue one to make the blue bulbs or blue dot lenses

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The best paint for light bulbs is sign paint.
It is designed to let the light through and will not fade, crack and lasts forever.
You should be able to get small jars at a sign supply house or go to a sign shop and see if they will sell you a small amount.

You could also call GE bulb division and order them direct,,,,,dq

bobs409

Administrator
Had the camera out so thought I'd snap a pic of the "in progress" bowtie tail light project. Almost done with the second one now so won't be long until I install them. (if it stops raining sometime this month) ;)

Attachments

• bowtielight.jpg
    bowtielight.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 121

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Bob,
An old trick if you want to have a reflector behind your lens,
Buy a cheap flourescent light cover (one of the clear ones) and put that behind your red lens, cut it out in the same shape as the lens.

Other than that looks good, can't wait to see your finished product.
Take some before and after photos

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Sure looks good! I'll bet it took quite a lot of time to make the lenses fit the opening. Keep us posted.

bobs409

Administrator
I'm starting to wonder if I may need a reflector in there somewhere. :? Thinking about tail light lenses, all had reflectors built into some part of them going way, way back.

Trivia: What was the first year for a reflector built into a tail light lens. (Chevy only-the others don't exist to me) :D

Here in Pa, they are strict on most things so I may have to incorporate some type of reflector in there to please Pendot. Maybe outline the bowtie with about 1/4" - 3/8" band? Or maybe a reflector or reflector tape in the deepest part where the sockets go through. Hmmm.

If I have to, I think I can make it look good though.

MRHP: Thanks for the encouragement. The lens actually doesn't fit within the opening but is pressed against the back of it. I made bowtie shaped gaskets from rubber roofing material that goes in between the metal and lens to seal out water.

bobs409

Administrator
All done!

As promised, here are the "after" pics.

In this pic, I cut out the damaged area of the fender to get to good solid metal. It looks overkill but there were 2 big holes from the 1965 Impala lights plus the area around those was rotted and "punky." :D All that is in the garbage can now.

You can see the new tail light assembly ready to go in.

Attachments

• Picture 074.jpg
    Picture 074.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 63

bobs409

Administrator
And here it is tack welded in. Once it was fully welded, it was ground down.

Attachments

• Picture 078.jpg
    Picture 078.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 57

bobs409

Administrator
And here we jump to the end. A light coat of filler was applied and sanded to blend it all in followed by a primer coat.

It took a full day to install them but I'm very happy with the results. It was alot of work.

I was planning on taking some night time shots with them lit up but it's raining heavy outside so they'll have to wait.

They have 2 1157 bulbs in each and light up very nice. I'm considering building LED panel inserts for them sometime in the future. (have to check to see if they are legal first)

Attachments

• Picture 087.jpg
    Picture 087.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 62