Reducing headers exhaust pipe question

donsz

Well Known Member
Ron:
Did the same with my original header. But I think the power steering is going to add a lot to enjoying the truck more.
Salt Shaker:
I did that to my original manifold and it worked fine for the manual steering box. I'll take another look, but I thought it
was too tight with the power steering box. I do have the Tuck header mocked up, so that approach doesn't work I can
go to that. I just didn't want chop up the original header any more just in case I have to go to the manual steering again.
MRHP:
I'm going for it, if it doesn't work, it will give me something to do the remaining of the winter.
don

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
OK, everybody watched that EM episode, I get it. But every time anyone mentions on this site about using Sandersons or other block huggers, the same folks caution not to use them, they cost 50-75 hp, etc, etc.

So which is it? I have a hard time figuring this one out without a dyno!

donsz

Well Known Member
I'm not an expert on this, but physically the stock headers appear much more constricted than the Sanderson and Tuck (Patriot) block huggers.
Based on that, at least the block huggers appear to be an improvement over the stock. But I can easily see where other headers would outperform the
block huggers. However, in my case, due to space constraints, the block huggers are a good solution. Especially for a truck where all-out
performance is not the primary concern.
don

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Sanderson's are pure Junk. I have welded 3 sets already for people that have cracked by the collector area. I have never had to weld a set of headers from any other company for that. I confronted the guy at Sanderson this year at BTT 50's about that problem, he told me the people are running their street rods and hot rods too lean causing the cracks. I rolled my eyes at him and walked away. Looked to me to be poor welds and cheap thin tubing.