Relief on a 656 Block

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Is this what you guys are calling relief or is it just the way the cylinder looks on a 409 block?

Thanks

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
No, I see no relief. This must be a pass block. All truck blocks have an eyebrow shaped relief cut in the top of the cylinder under the exhaust valve.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
This is a truck block.

Notches2.jpg

348ShoeBox

Supporting Member 4
Truck Block?

Then a 3755011 348 block with the same deep eyebrow reliefs as the picture that Dick submitted, with a cast date of J460 would be a truck block even if there is no X on the front upper left side of engine? I think I may have been confused about the X being on all truck blocks.:dunno

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Then a 3755011 348 block with the same deep eyebrow reliefs as the picture that Dick submitted, with a cast date of J460 would be a truck block even if there is no X on the front upper left side of engine? I think I may have been confused about the X being on all truck blocks.:dunno

No, All the 348 blocks have the notch in the cylinders passenger car or truck. Check out the casting codes page. Notice at the bottom there is a link. http://www.348-409.com/cgi-bin/block/csvsearch.pl?block=3755011

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Al 348 , passenger and truck, had the ex. relief notches. Some truck 348s had 2 relief notches. 409 passenger car blocks did not have the notches. Truck 409s do have the notches. Most 409s after 1962 had the X.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here is the double notch.

Attachments

• 348 double notch block- 1960.jpg
    348 double notch block- 1960.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 147

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Al 348 , passenger and truck, had the ex. relief notches. Some truck 348s had 2 relief notches. 409 passenger car blocks did not have the notches. Truck 409s do have the notches. Most 409s after 1962 had the X.

409's and 348's (962 and 655 castings) from CFD should have the X. What it comes down to, I believe, is that if it came with 333 heads, it should have one notch...:coffee:

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
656 Casting

409's and 348's (962 and 655 castings) from CFD should have the X. What it comes down to, I believe, is that if it came with 333 heads, it should have one notch...:coffee:

Cecil

My 656 with the CFD does have the X on it. Is that Central Foundry Division? What is that?

Thanks

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
notch uses

If you go with a large lift camshaft, the notch is needed to unshroud the exhaust valve. My exhaust valve would touch the cylinder, so I had to cut a notch similar ,but smaller, to the truck style notch to make clearance. :beerbang