Repair a worn hood hinge

bobs409

Administrator
Anyone ever attempt to repair a worn out hood hinge? Jim Sullivan had mentioned to me about trying this sometime and if I don't find one for my truck, I might be doing so as that would be a good test subject for me to work on.

Basically, the idea would be to remove the hinge from truck, remove the spring and remove the rivet at the loose location. The play would be from either wear in the rivet or wear in the actual hole. (most likely) If it's the hole, weld it up and re-drill out the hole. If the rivet, I think I would weld and machine it down to spec. (or you could replace it)

I guess the only tricky part would be how to install the old rivet or a new one. ??

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Has anyone removed a rivet before? I'm just wondering what one looks like. My guess is that the diameter by the head is larger than the diameter at the end that gets peened. If so, tightening up the rivet will increase the friction between the two hinge pieces. But if the larger pivot hole is worn, the peening won't do much for that. Of course, if I'm wrong on the two different diameters, then my theory is out the window. I guess I'll have to remove and rivet and see.

bobs409

Administrator
Has anyone removed a rivet before? I'm just wondering what one looks like. My guess is that the diameter by the head is larger than the diameter at the end that gets peened. If so, tightening up the rivet will increase the friction between the two hinge pieces. But if the larger pivot hole is worn, the peening won't do much for that. Of course, if I'm wrong on the two different diameters, then my theory is out the window. I guess I'll have to remove and rivet and see.

I'll wait for your full report. :waiting2::D

bobs409

Administrator
I was looking at the hinge on my truck. I can't really find any slop in any of the moving parts but I did notice 1 rivet rotates as it's parts move. The rest do not so I suspect that one might be the problem. The problem with this is when you shut the hood, the back sticks up on the one side. You can push it down so there is play somewhere. My 66 Impala has one like this too so I'll be doing that one yet too.

Not sure on other GM's but the side of the rivet that is peened over appears it may have had a plus sign machined into it ahead of time, then pressed with some type of tool. The grooves in the plus sign shape are very even and quite deep. I don't think a tool would produce something like that alone. (unless maybe the rivet was glowing RED at the time!)

Well, the Jeep is just about done so I'll be onto jobs like this soon. (and the other 99 things on my list) :read