Replacing a fuel line on an X Chassis

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hi Guys,
Now before i ask this question i know a bit more planning should have been done before i got to this stage.:doh:doh:cuss
Any way is there an easy way to replace the fuel line on a 60 2DHT without lifting the body off the chassis?:scratch
Got the cahssis painted and assembled then put the body on to make sure i had exhaust clearence Blah Blah Blah and now im in a pickle.
Cheers

Steve

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
Fuel Line Dilemna

Hey Steve. I'm not familiar with '60's like I am '62's, so I'm guessing here. Is the fuel line in 3 sections of metal line, held together by rubber line? Also, does the main section of line slide through the frame beside the driveshaft instead of going over the frame? If that's the case, snake your 3 pieces into their proper locations and connect them with the rubber hose. If it goes over the frame like a brake line, I don't know what to tell you. Jeremy

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey Steve. I'm not familiar with '60's like I am '62's, so I'm guessing here. Is the fuel line in 3 sections of metal line, held together by rubber line? Also, does the main section of line slide through the frame beside the driveshaft instead of going over the frame? If that's the case, snake your 3 pieces into their proper locations and connect them with the rubber hose. If it goes over the frame like a brake line, I don't know what to tell you. Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy,
Not sure what it had originally, got a replacement one from Harmons (one Piece) think in gonna have to cut it and join it as you said.:cheers Steve

bobs409

Administrator
The 6's & 283 for 1963 used a 1 piece so it may be the same for your year.

I just got one from Hubbards and put it in my 63 but my case is alot different than yours. I have the back of the car cut off, upper trunk section out, car up on a lift and I also cut out the passenger rear floor. With all that, I was able to remove the old one in one piece and install the new one. It wasn't easy. I doubt it could be done without all that.

One thing I found is the new one didn't match my old one. It had lots of wierd bends my original didn't have. :doh So I paid sixty some dollars for a part that wasn't even close to original. :bang Now I have to try hand forming it in place to fit nice. Typical repro junk.

Bob

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
According to the '62 assembly manual, the single exhaust cars (6 and 283) had a one piece 5/16 fuel pipe. All dual exhaust cars had a three piece 3/8" fuel pipe with the center piece going through the drive shaft tunnel to keep it away from the pass. side exhaust. The front piece goes under the upper a arm to clear the exhaust manifold. Fairly easy to change with the body on the frame. Leo

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
you will NEVER get that front piece on with the body on the frame and the front suspension together. I know because I have tried. Too many bends and the piece is just too long. You would have to take the front half the car apart to get that piece in there :crazy :takethat :doh

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I just put new 3/8 line on my 63 and had no problem getting in installed. I did not remove the upper control arm, I just put a jack under the lower control arm and there was room to install the line and clamps. I bought mine from fine lines who are local to me. http://www.finelinesinc.com/

Bill

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
My 62

Impala9-28-08008.jpg

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
The Reason for joining the site

Hey to all of you that replied, Thanks a heap.:pray It seems that it doesnt matter how many books you have about assembly of these old cars they dont have the bit you are wanting in a word or picture form (that you can understand):dunno Reading all of the replies and looking at the pics i can sort a way out of this. I bought a 3/8 SS 1 piece to replace the 3/8 3 piece unit i had in it. I honestly thought that the guy had had a problem and had to join it 2 times. This is exactly the reason for joining a web site like this.:beerbang:beerbangWill get onto it this weekend
Thanks to all for the help.
Steve