Replacing floor pans, braces and rockers on a 63

bobs409

Administrator
I need to start planning out an attack on this large undertaking. I probably won't get to it this year but might as well start thinking about it.

I have new pans and just ordered all the floor brackets. I have new inner & outer rockers plus new inner reinforcements.

Body is bolted down on the frame sitting on new mounts/cushions.

So what's the best way of attacking this? :? I don't want the car to fold up by cutting too much support out from the middle. :eek:

My best guess is to do one rocker first. Cut away the floor from behind the rocker area. Replace that side, then do the same on other side. Once they are done, that should be enough to hold the car together to do the floor pan & braces. Does this sound right? :scratch

The nearest body mounts are at the firewall and over the rear tires so nothing supports the center of the car. :eyebrow

Thanks,

Bob

P.S. I put the trunk lid on and alignment is VERY GOOD all around so I started welding the passenger side quarter on. Either I'm really good or really lucky! :D The plan is to finish the quarters up this year. The whole back of the car will be done then. It was a big job but alot of fun once I got past the shock of disecting my car!:eek:

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Bob

brace the door openings and do the rockers first. if there is anything left of the floor braces leave them there and use them as a guide for the inner rockers. i am glad the deck lid fit, you must be good!!!

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks gearhead. I'll be sure to put a brace of some type across the door opening when I do each rocker. Good tip. :deal

Bob

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Measurements

Good tip gearhead.:beerbang One side at a time and if you can take as many ref measurements as possible to get the right depth for the floor pans and such. I did my 58 and not sure how dif the 63 is but it can be a real bugger getting the inner rockers out an lining up the new ones. I don't know how bad yours is but mine was really rotted out Here's a couple of pics hope it helps. :)
Oh yeah I forgot the obvious Take lots of pics before and after they come in real handy.
John

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
oops

forgot pics:doh:doh:doh

Attachments

• 58 Floor before.jpg
    58 Floor before.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 58 Floor 1.jpg
    58 Floor 1.jpg