Replacing side glass

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am in the middle of replacing the side glass in my 62 and when I took the old glass out, it looks as though it is wedged in the chrome channel with something that resembles roofing tar paper, only thicker.
What should I use in place of this stuff?

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Brian; It's called glass setting tape. LGC used to sell it. Not sure if Eckler's does.:dunno Skip:)

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Eckler's does sell it. ( #561708 ) 3/64 " thick by 1 1/2 " wide. $ 9.99. :clap Skip:)

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian,I suggest you go to a local windshield shop.One that is a larger known retailer.They will sell you the material for much less than what any of the Chevy stores do.The stuff Ecklers sells for $9.99 is great,but is only enough to do 1,maybe if your lucky 2 windows.You should be able to get enough to do the entire car for that price,including the wing windows.Also there are different thicknesses of the material.I suggest you take an old piece with you when you buy it. John

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Brian,I suggest you go to a local windshield shop.One that is a larger known retailer.They will sell you the material for much less than what any of the Chevy stores do.The stuff Ecklers sells for $9.99 is great,but is only enough to do 1,maybe if your lucky 2 windows.You should be able to get enough to do the entire car for that price,including the wing windows.Also there are different thicknesses of the material.I suggest you take an old piece with you when you buy it. John

What John said.

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cecil,wish you were in the Maryland area next weekend.They are having a plane and car show right at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Airport.That would fit both of your hobbies in one day at one sight.I'd know you would enjoy that one. John

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the replies. I didn't want to spend 40.00 to do the windows so I did some research and found that the newer older cars (If that makes sense) used a rubber setting tape, so I sent the wife to Home Depot and got some 3M Rubber Mastic Tape. Worked perfect. Now I just have to find the other lower setting channel..... :bang:bang