Restarting my 348 project!!

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
When my 348 block was squared up[I think that it took .008-.010 to accomplish],my deck came up to .014 down.What I did was use a .022 steel shim gasket to get my deck to come in at .036[.034 is considered by most as minimum].I'm using a 409 crank,6.385 rods,and the 7815p030 piston.
Don do you have a picture of what the pistons look like in the block TDC? Mines at the machine shop and he’s thinking the flat part of the piston is not flat to the deck and wants to know how the Zero deck needs to be. It’s been a long time since he’s done one. Tim

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
No but on mine after taking .015 off the deck to "square" the block mine came up .014 down.Since I was lucky enough to have some .020-.022 thickness steel shim gaskets[almost impossible to find now]I used them.99 percent of the aftermarket gaskets are way too thick.Cometic gaskets makes two that can be used here.The minimum quench distance is .034,the maximum without blowing out the quench is .060.if you used the Comtic .030[.027 compressed you will come out at .041 with the piston .014 down.If they take enough off[typically .030] to get the piston to zero deck,use the Cometic .040.I don't like taking that much off the block because now you'll normally have to machine the intake manifold to get everything to fit up properly.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I should have put a square on the piston and didn’t. The top flat part (intake side of the piston) looks like it won’t be flat to the deck at TDC. Looks like it will slope slightly to the exhaust side. Is this an optical illusion?

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
That’s what I thought. So the zero deck will be from the intake side to the deck

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Don, With these 817 heads I have will I shave any off, I’ll do the porting and replace the valves and springs. recommendations? They have the 2.06 and 1.72 in them. Just need to make sure the machine shop doesn’t take too much off.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I got the 951 cam to go with the package of the icon pistons BB rods and 409 crank.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Don, With these 817 heads I have will I shave any off, I’ll do the porting and replace the valves and springs. recommendations? They have the 2.06 and 1.72 in them. Just need to make sure the machine shop doesn’t take too much off.

Don, anything different to do with these heads than above?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Get the stainless valves from Show Cars,mill just enough to make sure that they're flat.Let your engine builder get and set up the springs and retainers when he does the valve job.If you're going to run roller rockers,have them machine the stud bosses.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Great thanks Don, I took the old valves out and there are 3 exhaust and 2 intake on both heads loose in the guides. They also need the rocker studs because the threads on half of them are bad. They are original press in. They haven’t been Ported either so I need to do a bit of work to them

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Quick update, block is almost done. They got it bored, did mock up and he said the piston is just shy of .030 in the hole. He’s going to Zero deck it and said not to worry about the intake. If it needs custom fit he can shave some off. He had some old books from way back and he’s got it figured out what to do with the intake if needed.