Restarting my 348 project!!

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Before I pulled the distributor off the 327 I borrowed a SBC one from a mechanic at work to do a mock of how the sleeve works and fit. The Edelbrock performer intake is lower than the original and needs shims to get it to fit right. Sleeve is tight in the hole and once clamped down will be good but shims are needed. Getting it sealed up looks to be a challenge though. The sleeve adapter is not on the shaft Because it’s really tight but if it was it uses that gap And buts up against the bottom of the dist because it’s that much longer.any suggestions?

Attachments

• 16CA8FB0-51EF-4E8C-85AE-A3E327F51BB5.jpeg
    16CA8FB0-51EF-4E8C-85AE-A3E327F51BB5.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It looks like a dist.gasket between the intake and dist.and another between the adapter and dist.will take care of that Tim.Check and see if the tigthness is caused by the inner bore being too smug.Maybe sand down the outer part of the dist housing a bit for better fit.You've got to be able to move that dist.once installed.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Perfect! That will give me a template to go by. I have a standard one and it won’t fit.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Yes that adapter is to thick for a stock hold down clamp, also make sure you check your oil pump drive for being the right length.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Both James, that adapter sleeve sits about 1/2 inch out of the hole and the collar that holds it sits on top of the intake. The collar on the distributor sits on top of that. The eddy intake is nowhere near stock. I’m using a small block distributor is why I need the sleeve. Even if I used a 409 one I’d need a spacer to fill the gap

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Yes that adapter is to thick for a stock hold down clamp, also make sure you check your oil pump drive for being the right length.

used a 12” caliper and measured from the oil pump shaft in the hole to the top of the intake hole. Put the dist down in the hole and marked the top of the dist at the intake hole. Same measurements. The pump rod I have is a proper 409 rod. BBC oil pump but I also checked the depth of that rod before I put it in to make sure it was the same as 409 and it was.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Tim, all of the BBC pumps I have seen and used , M-77 style, are "longer" than a 409/SBC pump by about .100 and require shortening the 409 shaft by that amount. The only exception that I know of is the M-99 pump because it is intended for an SBC, thus has a shorter shaft. I like to make sure that the distributor touches the intake without a gasket.

I've never used a sleeve so I have no idea what might be going on there.

Just make sure you are not forcing the distributor down into the pump when you lock it down.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I had 2 Dave and the one I used although it says BBC the box says both. I measured the pump Show cars sent (pick up tube small diameter) and the one I had to get locally because the pick up tube didn’t fit the pan. Both shafts were the same length from the flange to the end of the pump shaft. I think the pump I got said Melling 55

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
M-55 is an SBC pump which would make sense. So we are back to the sleeve and some kind of spacers or gaskets to make sure nothing is binding the pump, I guess.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Dave, When I put the the dist in the hole and turn it it slides into the cam gear and should turn the pump shaft based on measurements. The problem originates with the eddy intake being a lot Lower than stock. The sleeve that came from show cars bottoms out just above the cam gear like it should and sits 1/2 inch above the eddy flange intake. The collar goes on that to hold it from moving which just about fills that gap. Just need gaskets to fill the rest making sure it’s shimmed and not binding on the cam gear
That’s a SBC distributor in the picture

Attachments

• 0843DE79-C56E-4AF7-B9D7-86A16443E9BF.jpeg
    0843DE79-C56E-4AF7-B9D7-86A16443E9BF.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 16

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I might be picky, but I wouldn't fill that big of a gap with paper gaskets, I'd find some kind of hardened steel or bronze shim (farm equipment store) just in case. Again, I have never (and don't plan to) used one of these sleeves.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Exactly. Unless it somehow bottoms in the sleeve, it is sitting on the oil pump shaft, isn't it??

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
James, I think it’s all the way down. It’s the intake being too short which makes it stick out the hole by the difference. I’ll mock it up with the sleeve, collar and dist all different pics so you can see. Do you have a measurement of a stock intake from the block to the top of the flange?