Restoration Nut and Bolt kit

bbqcruising

Supporting Member 1
Hello. Does anyone know if they make a nut and bolt kit with the correct finishes for my 62 bubbletop. Finally getting going to the paint shop after 4 years. Thanks, Jeff

mac1

Well Known Member
Totally Stainless has what you need. Pricey? yes, but you will be happy. No more wirewheeling and painting...

http://www.totallystainless.com/

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
I have gone both ways in the restorations, that I have done over the years. I have used original bolts and sent them out for replating. I have media blasted originals and used restoration products (like Eastwoods products) to try and achieve original finishes.

For several years now, I have been buying from AMK Products in Winchester, VA. www.amkproducts.com . I also have a body and trim shop supply house here in Denver, that carries some fasteners. AMK starts in 1964 with their kits, but they have many products you can use to do a "correct" restoration. You will notice in studying their catalogue that they lean heavily into Ford products. AMK still sources from many of the original Ford, Chrysler and GM suppliers.

I thinks it is easier and less problematic to use new body bolts if they have generic markings. GM used numerous suppliers for fasteners, and different assembly plants will have different markings for the same applications.

When I restored my 1967 Chevelle SS396 convertible, I spent a considerable amount of time studying what was correct, and what wasn't. It's amazing how much misinformation is out there. Luckily, the Chevelle model has a rather large collection of experts who have helped document the originality of this model.

FWIW, I have a friend on another forum who is considering making a video (or CD) about the correct restoration of the 64 model. I am trying to get him to expand it to cover more X frame cars. I know that many of you could care less about correctness and restoration, but I personally believe there is a place for it, in preserving automotive history. I'm not trying to get on a soap box here, but I love survivors, hot rods and restored classics. "Restoreum, don't crush them."

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Nut & Bolts

Don't see why Cars or any other restoration parts place wouldn't be selling the correct parts.

Cars catalog shows 62 specific for interior & exterior screws, bolts and clips sets.

They may not have all the parts you need but it's a start.

Dave

mac1

Well Known Member
TS finishes are pretty close to being correct, but may not be for you if your doing a 1000 point car. They use a mix of O.E.M. style, black oxides stainless steel, regular stainless and some that are polished, (interior & ext bumper bolts) Like I said, you won't have to remove them after a few years to wire wheel and re-paint.:D

bbqcruising

Supporting Member 1
Thanks guys. Yes i am doing a correct restoration and thought that if I did not have to replate with products like eastwood that it would save me considerable time. I will check amk and see what they have. I was told that Ecklers who used to be Late Great Chevy might have them. Thanks again. Jeff