Retirement Location

pv40924ss

Well Known Member
Hi,
Does anyone live in the northern Florida area? We are traveling there in early September 2023 to explore the Pensacola -Ocala, FL area for a possible relocation out of Albuquerque, NM.

New Mexico has plenty going for it: no weather extremes in either temperature or events, low to middle of the road taxes, etc, But, since 1989 the Albuquerque crime level, the inability of local politicians to deal with the homelessness issue, the cost of houses, etc are causing us to consider relocation.

What other places besides Ocala should we look at, and why?

TIA

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It depends on what your looking for in retirement, beach, land or retirement community.

From Pensacola to Ocala is nice for both beach and rural if you want to move into the middle of the state.

Crime is crime and there parts of any town or city you should or shouldn't be in just do your homework on that with your choices.

Lot's of relocation to the villages it's communities and rural land close to Ocala.

We don't have a state tax as our main income for the state is tourism but we do have jobs and job growth if you do want to continue working.

I would say the only down fall to Florida is the short winters and humidity, but the area's your looking at are northern part of the state so it does get cooler.

And don't worry about hurricanes there different than tornado's and are tracked for weeks and you get plenty of notice if you do need too relocate for safety.

I've lived here my entire life with the exception of military and career we live in the Tampa Bay area, it's highly populated now but does have beautiful beaches and anything you want.

If you wanted too come this far south Land o Lakes, Plant city, Wesley chapel, Zephyrhills, Spring hill, Ridge Manor or Thonotosassa because those still have some rural land are nice area with Amenities.

Last edited:

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Tampa to Lakeland in Polk county. Polk has a tough on crime Sheriff, outlying areas less crowded. Traffic is bad just about anywhere in Florida. We snowbird in the Lakeland area in a 55 + community with double wides. Only car ports. Not conducive to working on or owning classic cars, but really nice for November through April/May. I just can’t deal with the snow and cold of Western New York any longer. Real estate is getting very high priced. I see new developments on farmland with signs saying “starting in the $6 hundreds. Ocala is horse farm country so maybe easier to find a place in the sticks with some buildings and space. Summers are hot and humid. I have one lung so couldn’t live in Florida full time. Conservative politics are right up my alley.

pv40924ss

Well Known Member
We are looking for a place with affordable housing (less than $350k for new construction), where the local government actually helps people help themselves, less busy than a big city, good healthcare that accepts Tricare so military community would be good, no HOA, and active classic car community. We have friends encouraging us to move into the Villages but the HOA is a no go. We found Lake Weir Resorts between Ocala and The Villages where we can buy a place for less then $300k plus build a shop, or get a house with RV garage for $500k (ugh).

Other friends want us in the Rapid City, SD area. The winters don't bother us because we would go out only minimally during the winter.

Reactions: 327

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The 500K sounds do able for new in rural area, you could maybe find something used with land for 350K from Ocala north but I don't think new anymore.

Florida with no state taxes good healthcare and veteran friendly has become one of the states many are coming to and driving up home cost and making it stable.

Classic cars are welcome and there are car shows a couple day's per week in most communities.

Over in Polk county like mentioned Grady Judd does not put up with crime and you might be able too do 350K in parts of that area.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I live in the area in question...depending on where you go you can find acreage and a nice home for under 500K but you gotta look...Florida got expensive in the last few years...my buddy just bought a nice double wide, nice shop, and 10 acres for 350.000 on the nature coast...north polk county has deals but stay away from the urban areas costwise...grady judd don't take any shit from criminals...

Sudsc61

Well Known Member
Ocala is nice but a little boring after a while. Beautiful parks and Natural Springs. I live on the upper East Coast close to the ocean. It’s getting so crowded and the home price have tripled in the last 10 years. Daytona is becoming a ghetto with the homeless and drugs. Me and the wife love Florida but will probably move further south in a few years when we retire. There’s just too many people moving here right now in the states, not ready for it. The roads aren’t prepared to handle this many people they are building apartment complexes thousands of people all over the place traffics gonna get bad the jobs are gonna get scarce and the homeless are gonna be all over the place pretty soon. But at least they will always have the Turkey Run car show and Swap Meet in Daytona every year.

heddrik

Well Known Member
My family is from Panama City, it s smaller but has most of what you need. Depending on if you want beach or quiet, there are places in the interior of Northwest Fla. that are nice and quiet. But prices have gone up, everywhere I guess. Traffic can be a pain , lack of interstates in the panhandle, and beach traffic is crazy in summer. Good luck.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
After Grady Judd and his deputies put 67 bullets into a criminal, a liberal assed reporter asked why they shot him so many times. His reply was “we ran out of ammo”.
An LAPD officer we knew from commuting to downtown every day on the Metrolink train was definitely fed up with gangs, drugs,homeless,and liberals, and he had quite a few creative and probably effective ways of dealing with it all. The most direct solution he saw for all four categories was to have "uzi's, skip loaders,and dump trucks" ready for any and all enforcement requirements. Only problem, after necessary,corrective and complete enforcement like that, who would have to clean it up after that? You can't believe how many LA cops, both city and county, leave this state as soon as possible after retirement and head for a quieter more rural community in other places where people appreciate them.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hi,
Does anyone live in the northern Florida area? We are traveling there in early September 2023 to explore the Pensacola -Ocala, FL area for a possible relocation out of Albuquerque, NM.

New Mexico has plenty going for it: no weather extremes in either temperature or events, low to middle of the road taxes, etc, But, since 1989 the Albuquerque crime level, the inability of local politicians to deal with the homelessness issue, the cost of houses, etc are causing us to consider relocation.

What other places besides Ocala should we look at, and why?

TIA
How about going to good areas in NM. North or Ruidoso

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My family is from Panama City, it s smaller but has most of what you need. Depending on if you want beach or quiet, there are places in the interior of Northwest Fla. that are nice and quiet. But prices have gone up, everywhere I guess. Traffic can be a pain , lack of interstates in the panhandle, and beach traffic is crazy in summer. Good luck.
Didn't Panama City get wiped out a few years ago?

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My wife has mentioned Florida several times over the last several years. Mostly because of the politics. I would be interested in almost any place where moderates lived and governed with common sense and fiscal responsibility. But, that doesn't seem to exist anywhere. And when we think we might have found a place, it's got other major issues with healthcare, infrastructure, weather, etc. We moved out of CA once, and would like to again, but we don't seem to be able to find a place. Maybe we are not looking hard enough :doh

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
if you're concerned about health care you don't want to come to florida...it takes 3 months to see a new doctor if they will even give you an appointment...I'm told it's due to all the people migrating to florida to escape the democratic bullshiit going on...

Sudsc61

Well Known Member
if you're concerned about health care you don't want to come to florida...it takes 3 months to see a new doctor if they will even give you an appointment...I'm told it's due to all the people migrating to florida to escape the democratic bullshiit going on...
That’s the truth. We closed on our home11 years ago today. We got hooked up with all our regular doctors around that time. Right before Christmas this year I had so much blood and blood clots in my urine I had to go to the hospital because non of the urologist around here could see me for 4 months. When I was in the hospital the Dr there gave me a name and # to a urologist 4 towns away. Luckily he got me in right away and diagnosed my bladder cancer and I was in surgery a month later. One of the most stressful times in my life.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
59K9 and I live in the same area, I don't have any issues with Dr. appointments or healthcare.

I'm on medicare A&B, BCBS Federal great healthcare and can use the VA if I want.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Luckily we aren't in Canada. I read somewhere about the excodist of health care professionals.

Heck, they're even sending all their smoke down here. 1 mile visibility the last couple days.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes, horrible strong hurricane, category 5. Stripped trees, etc. I still see places when I visit and it was years ago, mostly recovered now. I worked on the beach in High school, tough job, LOL.
I was in Niceville/Ft Walton Beach for 2 years. The farthest south I ever made it was to Panama City so I have no real idea what the rest of Florida is like but I hated every minute of my 2 years. Humidity, bugs redneck fish heads. Humidity was unreal for me. I left there for Nam and the weather was a little better in DaNang VN.
Considering this was 1970-72 I'm sure much has changed except for the humidity and bugs