Ripe for a V-8

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just got this Blazer.

Not much for power,, well actually,, NO power !!

I`ve been looking for one for a while that all ready had a SBC installed but all the ones I found were junk yard dogs.
Seems the ones I looked at were just thrown together by hackers that wanted to make a pile of dough selling crap.
Most had wasted interiors with missing headliners and ripped up seats.
I talked my buddy into selling me this one.

Not a bad body, does have a dent or two but the interior is complete and nice and I love the wheels!!

I have several SBC that are good candidates for the swap early spring time.
In the mean time the plane is to gather some injections, wiring for the cross over and other needed parts.
I would like to have an economical V-8 that doesn`t suck too much fuel but will have power to thrill my bones.

These old 2.8 are dogs,,,

I am even considering a newer supercharged V-6 or a turbo one.

Just another fun project/toy,,, dq

Attachments

• Resize of Resize of IMG_0672.JPG
    Resize of Resize of IMG_0672.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 72

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Jim,
Looks like good candidate. Just stuff a 348/409 in it and be done...you know you want to.:cool:
If you decide to go with the 4.3, I have some parts left over from a former project for my son: crank,pan, heads(97), TBI intake or 97 TPI. All cheap.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Got an engine for you!

DQ,
I have a buddy in Lynchburg VA. named Sonny. He has a little engine shop. He's got just the setup for you. It'll perk that L'il dude right up! :brow

hemiengine.jpg

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
My uncle built one of those several years ago and used it as a daily driver for quite a while. Had to go south to find a good body. Had a fairly mild 350. Ran good!
When the 502 crate engines came out his friend put one in his S-10 blazer! Somehow he was able to keep all the accessories. It's a mean little truck!!
Ross

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My plan is to keep this as a daily driver so economy is more important then high power.
BUT,,, it needs accelerating and passing power so it`s either a 4.3 stock, 4.3 with a charger or turbo or a mild SBC.

Ya just never know what goes into it until I do it.

I do have a nice running 4.3 in my old Astro van that still runs good.
It also has a 700R so that just might be what it gets,,,
No money out put other then a few minor parts and maybe bearing and ring job,,dq

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OK,,, so IZ ben talkin to my buddies,,

They all have different ideas on what to do,,

And thinking about installing the 4.3 / 700R would be as much work as installing a V-8,, Right?:dunno

So ,,, whats your views on gas milage if I installed a good running mild V-8?
Any guesses on what combo would give the best milage??

It a Lonnnnnnnnnng winter,,:bang

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
If you can't find a diesel combo how about a good breathing small block with a torque cam and intake set up and mild compression. I guess you would stay with the stock gears to save money but with a good motor I would think mileage would increase real good if the ratios went down numerically.
robert
Just watch out for the trees:roll :roll

wc chevys

Well Known Member
I would go v-8 ,I did a swap on a s-10 truck several years ago went pretty easy not sure on gas milage,motor was bone stock out of a 1975 van so imagine low horse but ran a best at trails 14.98 at 97 mph

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I would go v-8 ,I did a swap on a s-10 truck several years ago went pretty easy not sure on gas milage,motor was bone stock out of a 1975 van so imagine low horse but ran a best at trails 14.98 at 97 mph

A local mechanic did an S-10 swap a few years ago but his motor was far from stock. I don't know his times but he gave them a heck of a show at Delmar because of control and stability issues:eek: I don't think he has returned(might have been uninvited by Charlie)
I don't recommend any of that swap for DQ!!!!
robert

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OK,,, so the price keeps going up for our beloved gasoline so the plans have changed.

Remember ,, this will be my daily driver.

What I have come up with is this.

A four cylinder GM S-10 engine with a turbo.

F**D has done this with great success in their Thunderbirds and the power and mileage is there!
I plan on using a turbo carb and manifold that will bolt to the existing GM manifold and should be very straight forward to build.

With an added alcohol/water spray to keep the knock down during full boost fit with a boost switch and timing retarder.

I`m starting to seek out the parts and will wait until I have them all in place before the swap.
Hopefully sometime this fall if I don`t go broke buying gas before then. ,, dq