Road Tube/PCV Questions

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
The brake booster and PCV valve combo would not create a problem because the brake booster has a check valve. I tried sharing the PCV valve vacuum port in the back of the carb. with the dist. vacuum advance and later found that the advance can had oil in it. Probably from the pulsing in the dist. advance linkage. :doh Leo

I am new to this site but was reading this post. I just am in the process of getting my 58 Impala on the road. I tried the PCV valve that Show Cars has. It does not work for me. I have a vented oil filler cap and I have to keep an old sock on it to keep from blowing oil all over my engine compartment. I know that this posting is over a year old but I was wondering if you tried this and it worked for you.

63 Biscayne

Well Known Member
I installed a pcv in place of the road draft tube on my 348 3x2 and after running about 20 minutes it started to fume thru the oil filler tube, any suggestions before I tear the motor apart?

63 Biscayne

Well Known Member
This 348 was stored in a garage for about 25 years,I took the heads off and found out the steel shim gaskets were rotten so I redid the heads,got the crank turned 0.010 but did not touch the cyls. since it was bored 0.060 and there was no sings of wear, overall cranking pressure was 170, runs like a top but after a while cyls.1 and 3 pressure dropped to 158 , so i'm thinking maybe there is something wrong with the rings? Not sure, anyways it started to fume thru the oil filler tube .Sorry for the long story.:)

63 Biscayne

Well Known Member
To much for my liking , i won't put it in my Biscayne like that. I guess if it was coming out of the RD tube it wouldn't too bad but my car club buddy's almost all have Dodges and it's a friendly feud every week so Ican't have any leaks or smoke , except tire smoke. I'm like food in the shark tank:)

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Guess I'm a little confused. In a previous post you said you installed a pcv valve and after 20 minutes , it started fuming out the oil filler tube. So, what about before the pcv valve? Blue smoke from the exhaust pipe? Oil from the oil filler cap? It is incomprehensible to me that anyone would tear an engine down and not spend $40 for new rings. Not trying to be offensive but I just don't understand that decision.

63 Biscayne

Well Known Member
Sorry about that, I never had this engine in a car, it was stored in the previous owner's garage for at least 20 years , I had it for 5 years before I decided to start it, took off the 4x2 Edelbrock intake , installed the chevy 3x2,easy to start, let it run for awhile , sounded a bit to noisy even for a old Isky solid cam, took the valve covers off ,noticed some wore and cracked rocker studs , took heads off and put in screw-in studs ,cleaned -up bowl+ports, put heads back together, no wear ridge in cyls. looked real good , got crank turned 10/10, put in Aubrey's hyd.cam, ran like a top ,RD tube blow-by seemed normal, put in pcv like on my 283 and after awhile fumes started to come out of oil filler tube. After reading all the posts on PCV thread, last night I got my April 1958 Car Life Magazine where they feature the new Chevy 348, on one of the pages they show the 3x2 intake upside down to show the oil baffle plate, the one that is missing on my intake! Could this be the problem?Once again sorry about the long story.:)

63 Biscayne

Well Known Member
Well I guess i'm going to be putting in a set of rings but will I be able to use my 3x2 intake without the oil baffle? Sometimes you have to pay to learn. Thank's for the help.:)

poison ivy

Well Known Member
do you have access to leak down tester? if so leak each cylinder, check noise at exhaust, carb, or oil fill, you can spot the leak,and make a better guess before disassemble if necessary.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Seems to me that pulling the 3x2 intake and installing the oil shield would put you back in good shape. Its all about blue smoke out the tail pipe. If there is no blue smoke with the baffle installed, drive the crap out of it. You might even be able to hook the pcv back up with the baffle installed. Personally, I would use the road draft tube, but thats just me.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
the oil shield will help the carbs stay cooler, and may help on the oil consumption. i do not know about the
oil i am no mechanic. i would always use a oil shield or baffle if it came with one. jmho jim

63 Biscayne

Well Known Member
Thank's guys! I'll try to find a baffle before I take it apart , there 's no blue smoke coming out of it . I also took a look at my Offy 2x4 and the Edelbrock 4x2 intakes and neither one has a oil baffle but since this is my first W engine I don't know if they also let fumes out of the oil filler tube.:)

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The baffle is part of the road draft breather system. It serves as an air-oil separator. Without it, you will have oil blowing out the tube.