Rock n Race 2019 348/409 class

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Pretty proud of this one first .0001 I’ve ever cut had a good night and made it down to 6 cars in the gamblers race. Thanks to all that hung out throughout it. Also a big thanks to everyone for making this a great event and it’s really just gotten started. Dennis Jackson it was such an honor to drive your car thanks a million!! 8DEC0C0F-0FDA-437D-A06E-682877E16589.jpeg

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
A big thanks to James and Tooth for getting my line lock working. Yes, he does have more than one.

Also, another thanks to Brian Lambert for the diagnosis and the replacement coil. She's running fine. Hit a new all time high mph of over 120.

Now just to get her to hook.......:burnoutTerrible 60' times.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
So much to say and such little time to say it!!!!!
AWESOME weather and AWESOME FRIENDS!!!!!! There is nothing like a 348 409 event!!!!!!!
So nice to see everybody!!!! Mark Johnson was here today. Mark has more Z-11 and race car info locked up in his brain that just about anyone!!!!!! Thanks Mark for stopping our display!!!!!
Pat has been very nice to me!!!!!! He is down to about 4-5 times now per hour reminding me of what I did to his car!!!!!!!!! Had Dave Colbert with us and after dinner we had to stop at Walmart to get some batteries for my friend. As he was starting walk in......Dave called out to him and said......see if you can find a timing chain!!!!!!! This kind of disrespect has lasted the last 2 days!!!!
THEN.....after we pushed the Z-11 into the trailer this evening and shut the ramp door.........it did not close properly!!!!!! In fact......not at all!!!!! All 5 hinges at the bottom of the door broke loose!!!!!!!!!!! I might be here until Monday if I can't get a welder out to the track tomorrow!!!!! Can not move the trailer at all until those hinges are rewelded!!!!!
Great racing today!!!!!

Last edited:

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I'm going to chime in early here as I have beet the hell out of Phil since the failure of the cam gear / timing chain (to be confirmed later) on Pat's Dave Colbert Z-11. He really took a good natured beating from all how knew of the failure. That being said, and in spite of the car not running when Dave and Pat arrived, the expression when Mr. Colbert saw his Z-11 was a Kodak moment. Pat Lobb made it happen on several levels including having it trailered from Dallas to Phil in KC. There are few people that would hook-up a freshly restored Z-11 and haul it in a trailer that was not his own from KC to Ohio. Phil understood the value of this reunion.............there are few of the originals owner/drivers left. Dave Colbert never stopped grinning the entire time he was here.

Last evening we pushed the Colbert Z-11 onto the trailer for the return trip to Dallas. EVERY hinge on the trailer door / ramp broke and the door could not be closed. A team effort got it to a point where it was closed but in no way safe to haul. The hinges all need to be welded with other possible measures to get it home. Phil spent the rest of his day to try and find a welder that could come to the track. As of this morning it is still not resolved and with Pat and Dave having to fly home this morning, Phil is stepping up once again and getting it done and may have to delay his own return home for a day or two.

We all love to hammer Phil (he's such an easy target), but my hat is off to him for all he has done thru-out his career for the 348-409 community.
My hat is off to him for making this happen for one of the "originals":appl:applThanks Phil

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I have to add to what Dennis has ssid.

If it were not for Phil I would not have had the opportunity to bring the Colbert car at all! As a matter of fact I have to fly back this morning leaving the broken car in the broken trailer.
But you know what, I have complete trust in a good friend like Phil. I probably kidded him more than anyone, but at the end of the day it is my car that broke and my trailer that broke.

Thank you for getting them here!!

Dennis you are so correct about Dave, a perpetual grin from the moment he saw the car after 56 years!!! What a great history of racing to join us, racing against and knowing Grumpy Jenkins, Dyno Don, Schartman, Ramchargers(whom he felt the same way as Hayden did) and so many more.

A great time, a giant THANK YOU PHIL for making this happen for Dave and myself!!