Rough night for the Biscuit

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Had an electrical fire in the car shortly after leaving Solid Gold McDs' Wednesday Cruise Night by us last night. Luckily got it put out in time. Scary ****. Electrical fires suck. Took out the entire front half of the harness with the lights, alternator, battery cables and horn. I'm just thankful I got it put out in time to save the car. I hope to get in there tonight and blow off all the fire extinguisher powder and start taking out the harness. Not sure if I should buy a new headlight harness or just make my own since my alternator is mounted on the passenger side, not the driver's side as well as its a 1-wire. Might be easier and cleaner to just make my own harness. What a mess but my wife was encouraging when was down last night and said, "It could have been a lot worse honey...it could have taken out the motor or the whole car!" She is right. Pretty sad day for me. :(

fire4.jpg

fire3r.jpg

fire2n.jpg

fire1.jpg

att560967.jpg

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I hate that !!!

Yellow Wagon,

I'll bet that scared the crap out of you !!! :cuss I had the same thing happen to me. I was installing a new radiator and not paying attention to the wiring, and pinched the wires between the radiator and the support. One hit on the key and everything started to smoke. I had tools out, so I cut the main lead from the battery cable and got it stopped, but I was shaking for an hour after that !!! :crazy:crazy

Like you I was lucky, because it could have been alot worse !!!

I believe that one or more of the ready made wiring harness is available for your application. Seems like I had to tell them where the alternator was mounted and if it was single wire or not. You might check before trying to round up all the different colored wires and connectors to redo the light harness.

Bill

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've got Phil on the case for me. He's got his elfs in the workshop splicing wires and soldering connections as we speak :roll

On a more serious note....I am going to see about flipping the alternator to the driver's side where it belongs. Anyone have any brackets they are using that work with headers? No chrome stuff...or at least if it is chrome, I'll paint it :clap

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Good luck with that repair Yellow. You will fix it better that new:cheers Any Idea of what caused it:dunno Ken

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
^haven't gotten into it just yet Ken. I suspect shoddy wiring conversion to the 1-wire alternator when the v8 swap was done many years ago :dunno

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yellow, Sorry to hear the bad news but am glad you got it under control in time. Here is the bracket that I used and it is made for small block. It was used on late 60's early 70's pickup. It will line up perfect. I used one of petepedlar's top brackets. Check out this thread. http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17262

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Sorry to hear the bad news, Jason.:doh The last picture is the worst, seeing your car, on a flatbed. Don't worry, you'll have it fixed, better than new. Most of the time, when wires fry like that, the culprit is usually, the power wire from the alternator to the horn relay, or some where in between.:eek:

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Most of the time, when wires fry like that, the culprit is usually, the power wire from the alternator to the horn relay, or some where in between.:eek:

I would agree with that Skip. Plus that wire is toasted completely. Much worse than the others. I'm trying to "flip" my alternator to the driver's side and if I can find some brackets that will work out I'll be able to get a harness to coordinate with that :clap

63z11

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yikes

Jay, really sorry to hear what happened. Just had a cadillac start on fire last week. luckily I had'nt worked on it yet. The customer dropped if off and it started on fire. Scarred me half to death though. If you need help at all let me know!
Eric

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jason, sorry to see that mess. Could have been a lot worse for sure. I would get a fusible link and install it in the primary wire so if this happens again it will blow and save the wiring. Ask Phil as I am sure he can offer some help on this or call any of the aftermarket wiring guys and they can tell you what size you need. I put them in all my builds and have never had a "burn out".

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
just a quick update...had the alternator checked out and seems something internally went ka-put. Could have been the voltage regulator that failed and allowed greater output to the wiring for a bit causing the fire. Pretty upsetting considering.....barely 1-year old DB Electrical alternator. Not too happy with their product. :bang

Went with a rebuilt Remy this time around

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Question.... I have the new harness in the car and I need to run a power lead from the horn relay back to the positive on the battery yet. The new harness doesn't have a fusible link installed in the primary wire from the ALT to the horn relay. Should I install one there in that wire before the horn relay? Or will one inline from the horn relay back to the alternator be OK? Mad Electrical's website shows one installed just at the batter terminal

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I might be wrong ( usually am) but I thought the one wire eliminated the voltage regulator. Doesn't the Alt . have its own regulator?

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
its an internal regulated alternator yes...but installs like a factory-style 3-wire so its not really a "1-wire" alternator. Retains the factory use of the GEN light in the dash etc

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think I have it all figured out. American Autowire uses a 10ga wire from the alternator to the horn relay....so I'll run a length of 10ga wire from the horn relay back to the battery and install my fusible link at the battery. She should be ready to fire up tonight! :clap

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just a quick update. The car is running :cool: Started her up around 10pm last night after finishing the rest of the wiring. Drove her to a car show at the drag strip today and made it there and back without a hitch. Big thanks to Mr. Phil Reed for his help in getting me a quality replacement harness. :cheers

Now.....might be time to start on that w-motor project :deal

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Happy to hear your back on the road Jason:beerbang After reading about your experience I think I'm going to install a fusable link in all my rods:dohWhat a nightmare