RPM at MPH

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My recently bought '61 Bel Air with 283 and Muncie 4 speed runs at 2800 rpm at 55 mph with 26" diameter tires so I calculated the gear ratio being at 3.90. Further calculated 65 mph cruising speed at 3300 rpm.
It's been years driving low gears so am I okay driving at 3300 rpm on long distance cruises?

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I just got in from a 100 mile cruise up into the green swamp area with my 60 348 impala, what a great ride and smoothe...felt like I was cruising a caddy...mileage, meh...at 3.69 a gallon for ethanol free gas is a cheap price to pay to keep my rides safe...

Last edited:

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I bought 5 Gallons of Non-Ethanol High Test gas, at our local Stewart's Shop's, $ 3.95 a Gallon.:eek1 I know, this is a Car Forum, but several weeks ago, I tried to start my Suzuki Bandit M/C. :clapBeen sitting for 5 years, with about a gallon of gas, with the recommended amount of StaBil. Cranked it over, and it ran for a couple seconds and that's all.:dunnoFarted around for about an hour, removing fuel hoses, and made sure gas was making it, to the carbs. It was. Eventually, the carbs had to come out.:doh After disassembling all the carbs, I noticed every jet in these (4) carbs was plugged solid.:dunno2:thumbdown I put all the jets in a Gumout bath, overnight.:clap Next day, I blew them out with compressed air. Didn't touch them. Still plugged solid.:wacko Next, I gave them a Lacquer Thinner bath, for 24 hours, then blew them out. Not a chance. That ethanol gas was like cement in there. :bang I tried gasoline, for the hell of it, knowing it wasn't gonna work. It didn't. Finally, the light bulb turned on.:dunno I used PB Blaster, to get all these jets out, of the carbs, without ruining them. :clap I'll try soaking them in it. Worth a try, right? Next day, I hit them with compresed air, and ALL of them were open. Holy Sh*t.:goodOne thing I noticed, the PB Blaster had softened the plastic cup, the jets were in, and it started leaking, on my bench. My point, of all this rambling, I will NEVER use Ethanol Gas, in any of my bikes, or lawnmowers, again. That shit is Poison.:eek3Just remember, to drain it all out, for the winter. Don't leave it in there.:yikes

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I bought 5 Gallons of Non-Ethanol High Test gas, at our local Stewart's Shop's, $ 3.95 a Gallon.:eek1 I know, this is a Car Forum, but several weeks ago, I tried to start my Suzuki Bandit M/C. :clapBeen sitting for 5 years, with about a gallon of gas, with the recommended amount of StaBil. Cranked it over, and it ran for a couple seconds and that's all.:dunnoFarted around for about an hour, removing fuel hoses, and made sure gas was making it, to the carbs. It was. Eventually, the carbs had to come out.:doh After disassembling all the carbs, I noticed every jet in these (4) carbs was plugged solid.:dunno2:thumbdown I put all the jets in a Gumout bath, overnight.:clap Next day, I blew them out with compressed air. Didn't touch them. Still plugged solid.:wacko Next, I gave them a Lacquer Thinner bath, for 24 hours, then blew them out. Not a chance. That ethanol gas was like cement in there. :bang I tried gasoline, for the hell of it, knowing it wasn't gonna work. It didn't. Finally, the light bulb turned on.:dunno I used PB Blaster, to get all these jets out, of the carbs, without ruining them. :clap I'll try soaking them in it. Worth a try, right? Next day, I hit them with compresed air, and ALL of them were open. Holy Sh*t.:goodOne thing I noticed, the PB Blaster had softened the plastic cup, the jets were in, and it started leaking, on my bench. My point, of all this rambling, I will NEVER use Ethanol Gas, in any of my bikes, or lawnmowers, again. That shit is Poison.:eek3Just remember, to drain it all out, for the winter. Don't leave it in there.:yikes
For five years!!!:D

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I bought a Husqvarna weed eater about 8 years ago and they doubled the factory warranty if I purchased 3 quarts of their premix gas with the weed eater. That tells me that the majority of their warranty claims are from people mixing their gas using 10% ethanol gas. They figured out that 1 quart of gas will last the average home owner a year so when you buy 3 quarts they are ahead of the game. Ethanol gas is CRAP that big government shoves down our throat!!!

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
around here, if it's gonna sit for more than a few weeks it gets the pricey stuff...I wont take the chance...took the 61 409 wagon out for a nice drive today...as I was going thru the gears I let it eat, sounded great and got out of it's own way...the ultimate sleeper for the unwary...mebbe not considering how fast these new cars are...

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Haven’t used ethanol in anything but daily driver since about 10 yeas ago when I found mossy slime in my generator carb I had let sit too long.

Carbed small engines and outboards have drain screws for draining the bowls for winter storage. Even running them dry may leave some gas in the bowls on the newer carbs which are less open to the air than our old carbs. My Carter is dry in 5 days or so.