Sand blast cabinets

bobs409

Administrator
Bob, I purchased one about 4 years ago, it works great. The only problem I have had is getting the correct nosel (did't spell that correct did I) piece that goes in the end of the blast gun. everything else is OK.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

W, I found these nozzles at Tractor supply so if you have a store near you, check there. It's a 3 pack for $5.99 (website) but my store wants $6.99.

I just picked up 2 different blasting medias there. One called Black diamond that I believe is 20/40 grit. 50lbs for $7.99 This stuff looks like it will really cut the rust!

I also got 80 grit Garnet, 50lbs for $22.99 (website says $19.99 but not at my store) I think this is one step up from glass bead so might work better for my needs. You can see these on their website. They have aluminum oxide too.

While Tractor supply is usually way too expensive on things, I think these are somewhat decent in price. In my area, I really can't find anywhere else. Example; the exact same blasting cabinet I just bought at H.F. for $219.99 is there with a different name on it for $319.99!

Wish I thought of them earlier, they have glass bead for $32.42 for 50lbs. I paid $39.99 at Harbor freight! :cuss Guess harbor freight isn't the cheapest on everything after all. :dunno

I'll update when I test these 2 out. Might be a while though, it's FREEZING here!!!!:eek:

Bob

bobs409

Administrator
Once you go black you never go back................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................But I did! Thats what the old man used to say!:roll

The opportunity never presented itself to me. (yet) :D:roll

Bob

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I have been using a homemade blaster for a number of years, also. Currently I have a Craftsman gun. Need ceramic nozzles. Their website has part numbers, but when I go to Sears, the numbers don't mean anything.:eek: Anybody have any suggestions for a decent sandblast gun. My local HF doesn't have any, either. :doh Thanks, Skip:)

bobs409

Administrator
Skip, I have a Craftsman gun too that I used to use in a home made cabinet and used to hate trying to find the nozzles for it. The worst part was the price. :eek: (and they didn't last long either)

It's been a while but I do remember at first, I had to order them at Sears. Later, they did start stocking them. Mabe they could order them for you if you give them the part number of the gun. :dunno

Being an inventive type of guy and tired of buying nozzles, I modified a no name gun that used the same type of nozzles so I could insert a metal roll pin in it's place. The roll pin acted like the nozzle. Eventually it would wear and I'd pull it back out and replace it! :deal Was ALOT cheaper.

Bob

Do some homework on your glass beads. They come in all different sizes and lifes. I did this after burning up 4 bags within an afternoon doing some stuff for work. I found a good dist. who sells to alot of industrial accounts to like Machine shops and such. They sat down with me and and asked what finish I wanted and what materials I was blasting, if I was doing cast, ss, what alloy, and the same with alum. I go- clean glass bead look. They tool me out into their demo room and showed me in 10 different machines it 10 different products and what different products will and can do. It was amazing to spend the time to learn about it and get the 1 hour versions of cliff notes in person.

I ended up using some BT-13 glass beads and I think it was made or bagged by TRW. I use it alot on 316 SS. The sandblaster dist told me to run it around 40-50 psi and that would make me happy happy. The filters stay cleaner alot longer - from an hour to now like 20-30 hours and the glass stays good longer. This is the same process and material that they use to make the uniform finish on alot of the dental tools at the dentists offices. With running the pressure lower, there is less heat involved for warping and it keeps my compressor happy. They talked me into pumbing mine from the compressor to the cab in 1/2 inch pipe and wow that was a big difference too from the line loss of cfm.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
H F Blast cabinet

I have my H F Blast cabinet for a few years now and the only problem I have come across is the Gun. The jets got very worn, but are easily replaced. The only other problem is the clear plastic lens . It gets so you can't see in the cabinet (worn from the media) They are available from HF.A quick fix is to buff the lens with GM convertible rear plastic window cleaner. When the lens gets blurry I just wipe it on ,wait a while and then buff it off.I think plastic headlamp lens cleaner will work also. Otherwise it is a very good cabinet.:)

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I use spray adhesive, on the border, around the glass, and stretch some plastic wrap over the glass, to protect it.:clap It will stay on pretty good, unless you aim the gun right at it.:doh

bobs409

Administrator
Good tip Skip! Mine came with some stick on plastic liners but once they are used up, I will try your method. :deal

That is if winter ever goes away! :mad: It was 32 in my garage today. Better than the 28 it's been! :p

Bob